The Giants and Lincecum haven't talked yet

Jan 27, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT

Yahoo’s Tim Brown reports that the Giants haven’t talked to Tim Lincecum’s people about settling their arbitration case yet.  This makes no sense to me given that Lincecum’s quite reasonable $13 million demand is bound to carry the day.

The math to me seems simple: the Giants can let Lincecum get his $13 million award and set themselves up for a demand approaching, I dunno, $18-20 million for next year alone, or they can try and settle by offering him something like a two-year, $25 million deal right now and save themselves a bunch of money.

It’s not my team, but if I was Mr. Sabean I’d be negotiating right now.

1. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Timmy is taking it easy on them and they slapped him in the face.. What dopes!

2. GiantSmack - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Craig, it is pretty simple to understand everything that is happening with the Giants. All you have to learn is 5 words. Ready…
    Brian Sabean is an idiot. There…now re-analyze and you will find clarity with the decisions made this off season.

3. Giant Smack - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Jonny5 – You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever negotiated anything from the buyers perspective? Even the Mariners came in around the same for Felix…but feelings were not hurt and he got his multi-year contract, everyone is happy. Mariners came in a $7M and Felix asked for $11.5M. Was that a bad deal or poor management by the Mariners?
    I bet you are one of those idiots saying give Lincecum whatever he wants. That’s smart team budget management. By coming in at 8M, the Giants will negotiate a multi-year deal. That’s the way it’s done. And the last I checked, there was still time before the hearings. Either way, Lincecum will be pitching for the Giants.

4. ecp - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Wait a minute, Giant Smack, first you say “Brian Sabean is an idiot,” then you turn around and bang on Jonny5 for saying essentially the same thing? What’s up with that?

5. cowdisciple - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Why would Lincecum agree to a 2/25M deal? If you assume he’d win his arb case this year (I think he probably would, although it’s not a slam dunk) that gives him a pay cut next year and very little additional security. If he has another great, or even good, year he could ask for 18/19M in arb next year and be pretty confident about getting it. If I’m Lincecum the conversation for a 2-year deal starts at 29-30 mil.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I said the Giants should offer it, not that Lincecum should take it.

7. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM

“Jonny5 – You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever negotiated anything from the buyers perspective?”
    LOL!! Actually yes I have, and do. Every day of my miserable life. I am a buyer for a multi million dollar company. I spend more in a week than I make all year long.
    BTW even Joe Blanton was offered 8 million for ARB. Nowhere near the pitcher Timmy is.

8. cowdisciple - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Fair enough. I suppose 2/25M would be worth a shot from the Giants’ perspective. It’s close enough to not be insulting. I don’t think there’s really any chance that Lincecum would accept, though, and you’d hope that the negotiations have progressed a long ways past staking out initial bargaining positions by now.

9. GiantSmack - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

On the surface it seems like a contradiction unless you have lived the world that is GM Sabean. That is the only good thing Sabean did this offseason. He continually signs players who are too old, too injures and for too many years and for more than they are worth.
    But the fact that people say give Lincecum what he wants or that it was an insult to come in at 8 is unrealistic. It’s called negotiating. Everyone acts like the Giants should spend like the Yankees and give him $20M. By coming in at 8 gives the team negotiating room.

10. eaglealan64 - Jan 28, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I thought $8m was spot on for an offer and if Lincecum had come in with some absurd figure would have won. At $13 he’s probably going to win but that’s not the point.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto