The Royals get a national TV game

Jan 27, 2010, 11:25 AM EDT

Kansas City hasn’t been on Sunday Night Baseball for since 1996, but ESPN is going to televise their Sunday night game against the Angels on the Fourth of July.

Your non-mutually-exclusive conspiracy theories of the day: (1) Since it’s the Fourth of July, and everyone will be out watching fireworks and stuff, ESPN figures that the ratings will be awful anyway, so why not throw a small-market team a bone; (2) ESPN has an under-the-table deal with the Royals in which the team agrees to rig it to ensure that Zack Greinke starts.

The rest of the Sunday Night Baseball schedule for the first half of the season is here. Lots of Mets, Yankees, Phillies and Red Sox as usual, of course, but hey, given that there will be no Steve Phillips this year, I’d watch anyone they threw on there.

1. Jeff V. - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM

ESPN still shows baseball? After MLB channel launched last year I hardly watch that other channel. MLB showed KC vs Baltimore last year.

2. MarkH - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM

An absence of Steve Phillips does not make ESPN worth watching. I don’t think even an absence of ESPN would make ESPN worth watching.

3. Howell - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Was Steve Phillips so bad that you forgot just how bad Joe Morgan is? I mean I have not bothered to watch a Sunday Night Game with sound in so many years that I don’t know.

4. Wells - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I’ve always enjoyed Jon Miller so much that he’s offset whoever they put in the booth with him. It’s too bad this game isn’t at Kaufman, though.

5. RickyB - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM

What if that someone were Rick Sutcliffe instead of Steve Phillips? Sutcliffe is an instant mute button in my house.

6. ecp - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Well, if Greinke does pitch, it will give a lot of us who have complained that they never see him the opportunity to rectify that situation…except that it is, well, the Fourth of July, and a televised game that evening isn’t exactly going to be a huge draw no matter who is playing.

7. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I was so sure this was going to be about the Royals playing a Japanese team in spring training…

8. ralphdibny - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I think it’s the Angels that are the determining factor here, not the Royals. Granted, I haven’t had ESPN in a while, but the network used to televise an absurd number of Angels games in its late-night slot. Hmmm. I wonder why that would be?

9. Will - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Well, I admit I’m surprised. I was sure before I clicked on the article that the game would be televised because they were playing either the Red Sox or the Yankees.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3552)