Jan 27, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
As a Twins fan I’ve been hoping they’ll sign either Felipe Lopez or Orlando Hudson to play second base and hit second in the lineup, but the Minneapolis Star Tribune‘s beat writing tag team threw some cold water on both scenarios recently.
First here’s LaVelle E. Neal II on Lopez:
Lopez? Scouts tell me you want to hit the ball to him. Not the Twins’ way.
Looking at any kind of advanced defensive statistics is also “not the Twins’ way,” so Lopez’s solid showing in Ultimate Zone Rating since becoming a full-time second baseman is ignored. That’s unfortunate, because he has a decent glove and has hit .298/.366/.409 over the past two seasons. He’d help the Twins plenty.
And now here’s Joe Christensen on Hudson:
I’ve been told Hudson had little interest in the Twins in the past but seemed humbled after last offseason, when he was a Type A free agent and had to settle for an incentive laden one-year deal with the Dodgers. … The Twins are discussing it, but my guess is Hudson signs elsewhere.
Right now the list of quality free agent infielders has dwindled considerably and the Twins’ projected lineup has Nick Punto starting at second base and Brendan Harris starting at third base, so not making a serious run at Lopez or Hudson would be very disappointing unless general manager Bill Smith has something else up his sleeve. And usually he doesn’t.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)