Washburn reportedly prefers either Twins or M's

Jan 27, 2010, 12:32 AM EDT

For those of you who have been wondering (and I know there are a lot of you out there), it appears that Jarrod Washburn will pretty much be choosing between the Mariners and Twins for his pitching home in 2010.

From Jon Paul Morosi of Foxsports.com:

One major-league source said Tuesday that there are “a limited number of places” where the left-hander wants to pitch in 2010.

Minnesota is one place. Seattle is another. And the list may not be much longer than that. A separate source said he would be surprised if Washburn signed with a team other than the Twins or Mariners.

Washburn lives in Wisconsin during the offseason (did you know he went to University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh?), so the Twins possess some appeal there, although he has already reportedly turned down a $5-million offer from Minnesota.

The Mariners also would appeal to Washburn, mostly because of Seattle’s ridiculous outfield defense, which played a big role in his 2.64 ERA and 1.068 WHIP in 2009 before the trade to Detroit.

Are you on Twitter? Follow Bob here, and get all your CTB updates here.

1. Michael - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:49 AM

M’s fans are rooting for the Twinks here. Go Twinks.

2. Union - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Twin’s fan rooting for the M’s here. Go M’s!

3. Bill@TDS - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I don’t want to see him on either my favorite or second favorite team…but at least my second favorite has a good enough outfield defense to weather the storm. Go M’s!

4. Johnny - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I’m sure Minneapolis and Seattle are wonderful cities, but wouldn’t you want to go somewhere a little warmer?

5. Johnny P. - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM

I am sure after all the cold winters he’s endured in Wisconsin, I am sure he could handle April/September in Minnesota.

6. Wells - Jan 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM

COME ON TWINS! You know you want the Big Wash. He’s GREAT. Gritty. Plays with a lot of heart.

7. IdahoMariner - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Seattle is ridiculously beautiful from May to September, and April is just a little chilly and wet, so, no, I wouldn’t want to go warmer. It’s got perfect baseball weather. And it’s weird to realize (given his particular skillset) that he is choosing between the best defensive outfield in baseball and very close to, if not the actual, worst defensive outfield in baseball. I’d choose Seattle if I were him.
    Having said that…go Twins! Go get your man!

8. Shawn - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Hmm as a Twins fan I really don’t want him. First off I don’t think he’s that good and since Tom Kelly left, the Twins emphasis on fielding has disappeared to the point where their outfield is an abomination and their infield is barely passable.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline