Jan 28, 2010, 7:57 AM EST
Several readers suggested this one: If it’s such a big deal that the Cardinals have hired a coach who took PEDs — if he’s toxic, if he’s a distraction — then why does no one care that Glenallen Hill coaches for the Colorado Rockies?
And don’t tell me that it’s because Hill, unlike McGwire, truly “came clean.” His story to George Mitchell was that he bought HGH but never used it. That standing alone doesn’t pass the smell test any better than McGwire’s “I took it for health purposes.” It’s the PED-equivalent of “I didn’t inhale.” It was also contradicted directly by (a) his dealer, Kirk Radomski, who claimed that Hill did indeed take the drugs he was sold and even told Radomski about their effects; and (b) Jason Grimsley, who swore out an affidavit stating that Hill used steroids. Unlike Hill, both Radomski and Grimsley were under legal compulsion to provide their information.
So, in Glenallen Hill and Mark McGwire we have two PED-using coaches who haven’t come clean according to the standards of people like Ken Rosenthal and Howard Bryant. In light of that, if anyone can tell me why the former is allowed to go about his business and the latter is currently the subject of a full court media press trying to oust him from his job before he can even start it, please let me know, because I really don’t get it.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)