Jan 28, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Several readers suggested this one: If it’s such a big deal that the Cardinals have hired a coach who took PEDs — if he’s toxic, if he’s a distraction — then why does no one care that Glenallen Hill coaches for the Colorado Rockies?
And don’t tell me that it’s because Hill, unlike McGwire, truly “came clean.” His story to George Mitchell was that he bought HGH but never used it. That standing alone doesn’t pass the smell test any better than McGwire’s “I took it for health purposes.” It’s the PED-equivalent of “I didn’t inhale.” It was also contradicted directly by (a) his dealer, Kirk Radomski, who claimed that Hill did indeed take the drugs he was sold and even told Radomski about their effects; and (b) Jason Grimsley, who swore out an affidavit stating that Hill used steroids. Unlike Hill, both Radomski and Grimsley were under legal compulsion to provide their information.
So, in Glenallen Hill and Mark McGwire we have two PED-using coaches who haven’t come clean according to the standards of people like Ken Rosenthal and Howard Bryant. In light of that, if anyone can tell me why the former is allowed to go about his business and the latter is currently the subject of a full court media press trying to oust him from his job before he can even start it, please let me know, because I really don’t get it.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59