Did Mike Bacsik groove HR 756 to Barry Bonds?

Jan 28, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT

Bonds 756.jpgFormer Washington Nationals’ pitcher Tim Redding was on the radio yesterday, accusing teammate Mike Bacsik of intentionally throwing a fat pitch to Barry Bonds, giving him the record breaking home run:

“I think he wanted to give it up. And he can say what he wants in
defense or whatnot, but doing the chart, I mean, every ball that Barry
hit, the ball was center cut, right down the middle, fastball. You
know, I think maybe inside he was thinking he was going to get a little
bit more publicity.  Maybe, you know, publicity and some money out of
it, appearances, stuff like that.”

Bacsik’s response via Twitter:

“Well just got a call from Bill Ladson of washingtonnationals.com and
Tim Redding said he believes I tried to give up homer#756 Good
teammate”

What he said. I mean, there was a time when a guy wouldn’t publicly accuse his teammate of taking a dive like that.  He would keep the fact that his teammate took a dive like that all to himself.

OK, seriously, I have no idea if Bacsik really did groove one to Bonds. It’s not like he had masterful stuff anyway — he gave up 26 home runs in 118 innings in 2007 and had a lifetime ERA of 5.46 — so the odds favored Bonds jacking one out of the yard that night anyway.

1. Chaz - Jan 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM

There’s a link to the HR on this page:

2. RichardInDallas - Jan 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Bacsik has talked about this often in the course of his job as an on-air producer at 1310 TheTicket in Dallas. If you want to check out Mike on the air, you can listen live online at http://www.theticket.com if you go to their home page and click on the “listen now” button. I am a very regular listener, and on more than one occasion he has made leading statements like “It was one way to get in the record books, and I wasn’t going to get in any OTHER way”, but he has never (to my knowledge) come right out and said he did to Barry Bonds what Chan Ho Park claims to have done to Cal Ripkin in the 2001 All-Star Game.
    ***Notable trivia factoid*** Mike’s dad, Mike, while pitching for the Texas Rangers in 1976, faced Hank Aaron between his last home run and his last at bat. That makes them the only father/son pitching combination to have faced two different batters while they each had a career total of 755 home runs. Dad won the standoff, but Son’s in the record book.

3. Ron - Jan 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I think there were also players saying that pitchers were grooving McGwire when he hit is last few in 1998.

4. Ron - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM

That was the other Ron, and not me.

5. JoeRunner - Jan 29, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Nonsense! There is no way Redding could know that. His opinion? OK, so what’s that worth?
    It’s hard to believe that any MLB pitcher would groove one to any hitter, let alone Bonds of all people!
    I am not going to say it has not happened, but it is beyond stupidity, a characteristic not unknown in baseball.

6. resveratrol supplements - Jan 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Do you plan to keep this site updated? I sure hope so… its great!

7. trampoline safety - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Really? Don’t misunderstand what I’m saying, I agree with you partly, but when you say something like this you actually need to be prepared to defend it.

8. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I grooved my girlfriend one last night, as soon as she fell asleep.

9. willmose - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Flash, Denny McLain grooved one for Mickey Mantle to hit number 500.

10. Old Gator - Jan 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I’m devastated to hear that. The Mick was one of my heroes and there’s no way McLain grooved a pitch if he hadn’t been paid under the table to do it.

11. David chow - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Wow! what an idea ! What a concept ! Beautiful .. Amazing …

12. Jay - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Flash, Denny McLain grooved one for Mickey Mantle to hit number 500.
    Willmose, with all due respect, Stu Miller gave up Mantle’s 500th HR, not McLain.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5480)