Jan 28, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Never finding the kind of deal he wanted, even after he hit .256/.369/.568 in an 85-game stint with the Cubs, Jim Edmonds sat out last season. Now that his itch to play again outweighs his pride, he’s accepted a minor league contract in an attempt to make the Brewers.
The initial thought will be that, by taking on Edmonds, the Brewers aren’t showing much faith in the newly acquired Carlos Gomez. After all, Gomez hit just .229/.287/.337 for the Twins last season, and he ended the year as a reserve. Gomez, though, has a huge defensive advantage over Edmonds, who wasn’t looking like much of a center fielder even while he was stinging in the ball in 2008. It’s doubtful that a year off made him any faster, and Edmonds would almost certainly be more useful in a corner than in center this season.
That brings us to Corey Hart. The Brewers resisted attempts to trade the 27-year-old right fielder over the winter, suggesting they still believe 2007 wasn’t an outlier. However, he’s posted OPSs of 759 and 753 the last two years since finishing at 892 in what might go down as his career season. Hart also has a significant platoon split over the course of his career. He’s hit .290/.358/.486 against lefties, versus .266/.312/.463 against righties. It’s not a bad line against righties — and it’s worth noting that he was actually better against righties than lefties last year — but there’s a good chance the left-handed-hitting Edmonds would beat it.
Odds are that Hart will get every chance to keep his job, and Edmonds may have an uphill battle to make the team, considering that the Brewers already have a left-handed-hitting fourth outfielder due $2 million this year in Jody Gerut. I think it’s a nice pickup for Milwaukee, though. The Brewers might well prove better off with a true platoon in right field.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 6
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)