Jan 28, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Never finding the kind of deal he wanted, even after he hit .256/.369/.568 in an 85-game stint with the Cubs, Jim Edmonds sat out last season. Now that his itch to play again outweighs his pride, he’s accepted a minor league contract in an attempt to make the Brewers.
The initial thought will be that, by taking on Edmonds, the Brewers aren’t showing much faith in the newly acquired Carlos Gomez. After all, Gomez hit just .229/.287/.337 for the Twins last season, and he ended the year as a reserve. Gomez, though, has a huge defensive advantage over Edmonds, who wasn’t looking like much of a center fielder even while he was stinging in the ball in 2008. It’s doubtful that a year off made him any faster, and Edmonds would almost certainly be more useful in a corner than in center this season.
That brings us to Corey Hart. The Brewers resisted attempts to trade the 27-year-old right fielder over the winter, suggesting they still believe 2007 wasn’t an outlier. However, he’s posted OPSs of 759 and 753 the last two years since finishing at 892 in what might go down as his career season. Hart also has a significant platoon split over the course of his career. He’s hit .290/.358/.486 against lefties, versus .266/.312/.463 against righties. It’s not a bad line against righties — and it’s worth noting that he was actually better against righties than lefties last year — but there’s a good chance the left-handed-hitting Edmonds would beat it.
Odds are that Hart will get every chance to keep his job, and Edmonds may have an uphill battle to make the team, considering that the Brewers already have a left-handed-hitting fourth outfielder due $2 million this year in Jody Gerut. I think it’s a nice pickup for Milwaukee, though. The Brewers might well prove better off with a true platoon in right field.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 8
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)