Jan 28, 2010, 12:48 PM EST
Randall Simon played eight seasons in the majors, batting .283 with a decent .742 OPS as a part-time first baseman for six different teams, but he’s most famous for two things:
1) Braves teammate called him a “fat monkey” in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
2) During the mascot “Sausage Race” in Milwaukee he leaned out of the dugout and swung his bat at a female college student who was wearing the Italian sausage costume, knocking her to the ground and earning a fine for disorderly conduct.
Simon hasn’t played in the majors since 2006, but is still trying to grind out a baseball career and has signed with the Rockford RiverHawks of the independent Northern League. Upon acquiring the 34-year-old Simon they issued a statement saying: “He gives us some sort of identity of who we are and what we are about.”
In other words, spiced meats in and around the Rockford area may want to avoid RiverHawks games.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)