Jan 28, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Tampa Bay has signed one of the biggest busts in draft history, inking former No. 1 overall pick Matt Bush to a minor-league contract.
When last we saw Bush in July he’d been sentenced to 120 days in residential rehab, 240 hours of community service, three years of probation, and $2,000 in fines after being charged with a DUI, resisting arrest, driving on a suspended license, and vandalism.
Just a month before that–on the day of the 2009 draft, no less–Bush pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor battery charges from what the San Diego Union-Tribune called a “drunken assault” on lacrosse players at his old high school. And then of course he’s been a mess on the field as well.
Bush was a disaster from Day 1, getting into a bar fight before even making his pro debut and then hitting .192 at rookie-ball. He moved up to Single-A in 2005 and hit .221, missed most of 2006 with a broken ankle, hit .204 at Single-A in 2007, and was then converted from shortstop to pitcher as the Padres tried to salvage some value from the blown pick. It didn’t work, as a torn elbow ligament led to Tommy John surgery and … well, now he’ll be in the Rays’ minor-league camp next month.
Assuming he doesn’t assault any teammates or fans while at spring training the Rays aren’t really risking anything by signing Bush and perhaps there’s a non-zero chance of him turning things around, but so far he’s proven to be a bust as a hitter, pitcher, and human being. Quite an accomplishment for a 24-year-old.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)