Jan 28, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Tampa Bay has signed one of the biggest busts in draft history, inking former No. 1 overall pick Matt Bush to a minor-league contract.
When last we saw Bush in July he’d been sentenced to 120 days in residential rehab, 240 hours of community service, three years of probation, and $2,000 in fines after being charged with a DUI, resisting arrest, driving on a suspended license, and vandalism.
Just a month before that–on the day of the 2009 draft, no less–Bush pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor battery charges from what the San Diego Union-Tribune called a “drunken assault” on lacrosse players at his old high school. And then of course he’s been a mess on the field as well.
Bush was a disaster from Day 1, getting into a bar fight before even making his pro debut and then hitting .192 at rookie-ball. He moved up to Single-A in 2005 and hit .221, missed most of 2006 with a broken ankle, hit .204 at Single-A in 2007, and was then converted from shortstop to pitcher as the Padres tried to salvage some value from the blown pick. It didn’t work, as a torn elbow ligament led to Tommy John surgery and … well, now he’ll be in the Rays’ minor-league camp next month.
Assuming he doesn’t assault any teammates or fans while at spring training the Rays aren’t really risking anything by signing Bush and perhaps there’s a non-zero chance of him turning things around, but so far he’s proven to be a bust as a hitter, pitcher, and human being. Quite an accomplishment for a 24-year-old.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)