Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 AM EDT
The Daily News’ Adam Rubin reports that John Smoltz is considering pulling a Rogers Clemens or a Pedro Martinez or whatever you want to call it and sitting out until midseason before signing with someone.
From a maximization of value perspective this makes perfect sense for a guy like Smoltz. Right now everyone things their rotation looks more or less dandy. Optimism reigns. Why not wait until that young kid gets shelled a few times and the number three guy has tightness in his elbow? In the meantime, Smoltz can further hone his golf game in anticipation of joining the Senior Tour one day.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)