Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 AM EDT
The Daily News’ Adam Rubin reports that John Smoltz is considering pulling a Rogers Clemens or a Pedro Martinez or whatever you want to call it and sitting out until midseason before signing with someone.
From a maximization of value perspective this makes perfect sense for a guy like Smoltz. Right now everyone things their rotation looks more or less dandy. Optimism reigns. Why not wait until that young kid gets shelled a few times and the number three guy has tightness in his elbow? In the meantime, Smoltz can further hone his golf game in anticipation of joining the Senior Tour one day.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (114)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)