Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 AM EST
The Daily News’ Adam Rubin reports that John Smoltz is considering pulling a Rogers Clemens or a Pedro Martinez or whatever you want to call it and sitting out until midseason before signing with someone.
From a maximization of value perspective this makes perfect sense for a guy like Smoltz. Right now everyone things their rotation looks more or less dandy. Optimism reigns. Why not wait until that young kid gets shelled a few times and the number three guy has tightness in his elbow? In the meantime, Smoltz can further hone his golf game in anticipation of joining the Senior Tour one day.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)