Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 AM EST
The Daily News’ Adam Rubin reports that John Smoltz is considering pulling a Rogers Clemens or a Pedro Martinez or whatever you want to call it and sitting out until midseason before signing with someone.
From a maximization of value perspective this makes perfect sense for a guy like Smoltz. Right now everyone things their rotation looks more or less dandy. Optimism reigns. Why not wait until that young kid gets shelled a few times and the number three guy has tightness in his elbow? In the meantime, Smoltz can further hone his golf game in anticipation of joining the Senior Tour one day.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)