Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 AM EDT
The Daily News’ Adam Rubin reports that John Smoltz is considering pulling a Rogers Clemens or a Pedro Martinez or whatever you want to call it and sitting out until midseason before signing with someone.
From a maximization of value perspective this makes perfect sense for a guy like Smoltz. Right now everyone things their rotation looks more or less dandy. Optimism reigns. Why not wait until that young kid gets shelled a few times and the number three guy has tightness in his elbow? In the meantime, Smoltz can further hone his golf game in anticipation of joining the Senior Tour one day.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)