Jan 29, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Cito Gaston has said previously that he’d like the Blue Jays to bring back Carlos Delgado and MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the manager “spent time lobbying” for the move while appearing at a team function last night:
If there’s some way to bring Carlos back here, I’d love to see him back here, because he can do a lot of things as far as helping the young kids about knowing about hitting. We haven’t forgotten him. I’m a big Carlos fan. So it would be nice to have him back here and to see him also perhaps go into that Hall of Fame with a Blue Jays uniform on. That would be great.
Delgado would no doubt be open to rejoining the Blue Jays, especially now that the Mets are seemingly out of the picture, but the 38-year-old first baseman was limping around winter ball and general manager Alex Anthopoulos has made it pretty clear that he doesn’t agree with Gaston:
When you have a player of that magnitude and the success that [Delgago] has had you’re always going to talk about it and see, “Is there a scenario? Is there a potential fit?” As we sit here today, we’ve got Lyle Overbay at first base and our priority would be to have Adam Lind as more of a DH. What we’re trying to do is always try to build as competitive a team as we can, but one that will also not hinder or block or impede upon a young player that we think is going to be a part of the core.
Anthopoulos was perfectly willing to admit that the Blue Jays may have some interest in Johnny Damon, so the downplaying of a potential Delgado reunion isn’t just an example of a GM being coy. With that said, it’ll be interesting to see if Gaston can change his mind between now and spring training because at this point it looks like Delgado might be available to anyone willing to offer a minor-league deal.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)