Jan 29, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the Blue Jays are interested in Johnny Damon and have spoken to Scott Boras about him.
GM Alex Anthopoulos said the team was really more in the “information-gathering stage” for Damon, which can probably be translated to “we’re waiting to see how cheap we can get him,” but unlike the Reds and Tigers, there appears to be legitimate interest on the part of the Jays. Not speaking specifically about Damon, Anthopoulos said that if the Jays go after any free agents, one of the considerations would be whether they could unload them in the middle of the season for some value, which is pretty smart.
It’s going to be a rough year for the Jays, but I have to say that I’ve liked just about everything Anthopoulos has done. He’s realistic about where his team is on the success cycle. And while it may be some time before anything great happens in Toronto, I like how he has approached the rebuilding process in his short time at the helm.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)