Jan 29, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the Blue Jays are interested in Johnny Damon and have spoken to Scott Boras about him.
GM Alex Anthopoulos said the team was really more in the “information-gathering stage” for Damon, which can probably be translated to “we’re waiting to see how cheap we can get him,” but unlike the Reds and Tigers, there appears to be legitimate interest on the part of the Jays. Not speaking specifically about Damon, Anthopoulos said that if the Jays go after any free agents, one of the considerations would be whether they could unload them in the middle of the season for some value, which is pretty smart.
It’s going to be a rough year for the Jays, but I have to say that I’ve liked just about everything Anthopoulos has done. He’s realistic about where his team is on the success cycle. And while it may be some time before anything great happens in Toronto, I like how he has approached the rebuilding process in his short time at the helm.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)