Jan 29, 2010, 12:23 PM EST
SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees made a final offer to Johnny Damon last week that would have paid him $6 million for 2010, although half the money would have been deferred without interest.
Damon turned that down and the Yankees quickly signed Randy Winn for $2 million instead, so now he’s searching for a new team. Damon’s agent, Scott Boras, is said to have told the Yankees early in the offseason that he’d accept nothing less than a two-year deal worth $26 million and after it became clear that wasn’t happening they reportedly turned down a two-year, $14 million offer.
Shooting for the moon early and then having too much pride to accept a lesser-but-still-good offer is one thing, but turning down $6 million in mid-January is flat-out foolish for a guy who’s repeatedly said he wants to stay in New York. My guess is that Damon won’t get $6 million from wherever he winds up, and even if he gets around that same money from his new team was it really worth leaving the Yankees?
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)