Jan 29, 2010, 12:23 PM EDT
SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees made a final offer to Johnny Damon last week that would have paid him $6 million for 2010, although half the money would have been deferred without interest.
Damon turned that down and the Yankees quickly signed Randy Winn for $2 million instead, so now he’s searching for a new team. Damon’s agent, Scott Boras, is said to have told the Yankees early in the offseason that he’d accept nothing less than a two-year deal worth $26 million and after it became clear that wasn’t happening they reportedly turned down a two-year, $14 million offer.
Shooting for the moon early and then having too much pride to accept a lesser-but-still-good offer is one thing, but turning down $6 million in mid-January is flat-out foolish for a guy who’s repeatedly said he wants to stay in New York. My guess is that Damon won’t get $6 million from wherever he winds up, and even if he gets around that same money from his new team was it really worth leaving the Yankees?
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (170)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)