Four or Five teams pursuing Chien-Ming Wang

Jan 29, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT

At least that’s what his agent says.  Among those interested: the Mets, the Dodgers and the Cardinals. But wait, wasn’t Wang supposed to be on the sidelines for a good chunk of the early season due to rehab from injuries?

“Our plan was to get him 100 percent healthy, so there was no risk on
the team’s part,” [agent Alan] Nero said. “And that’s still our plan, and we’re
following it. But we didn’t expect teams to be coming forward with
offers, and that’s what’s happening.”

Despite Nero’s claim that Wang is throwing pain free, it strikes me that anyone who goes after Wang now, as opposed to later, is really taking a chance. I’d at least want to see a Ben Sheets-style throwing session from him before getting serious.

1. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 29, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I think alot of people will be interested, this guy had back to back 19 win seasons, and he compensated his delivery because of
    injuries and got all wacky.His sinker MUST sink but I wonder why Cash is not saying anything about him, maybe because he can’t start out the gate and that is when you need the # 5 guy.He was a good guy in New York, I wish him well, I hope Omar is checking this out.

2. yankees536 - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM

what does ” he compensated his delivery because of injuries ” mean ????????
    Did you mean to say he altered his delivery to compensate for injuries ????

3. Charles Gates - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Chien Ming Wang’s mechanics: 2007 vs. 2009

4. The Rabbit - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I will be awaiting an e-mail from my son, a diehard but cynical Mets fan, who sent me the following a few weeks ago when it was rumored the Mets were considering Ben Sheets.
    “There is a rumor floating around that the Mets are very interested in Ben Sheets, who as we all know didn’t throw a pitch last year. So I think it is time for the Mets to consider other pitchers who didn’t throw a pitch last year as well. Here is my TOP 10 list of pitchers who Omar should contact immediately…
    Three Finger Ojeda
    Jerry Koosman
    Frank Viola
    Bret Saberhagen
    Warren Spahn
    Roger Craig
    Don Drysdale
    Vida Blue
    Ron Darling
    And of course Sid Fernandez
    I know some of these guys are dead, but then so are the Mets.”

5. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM

STOP BEING A DOUCHE!!!
    Obviously you nothing about baseball and posted to show
    how ignorant you are, now go jump rope with the girl’s!!!!

6. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM

STOP BEING A DOUCHE!!!
    Obviously you nothing about baseball and posted to show
    how ignorant you are, now go jump rope with the girl’s!!!!

7. larry - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM

IF THE METS DONT GET THIS GUY, THE METS DONT KNOW BASEBALL.

8. larry - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM

IF THE METS DONT SIGN THIS GUY, THEY DESERVE NO RESPECT.

9. Ben - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I find it mildly funny that a bunch of NL teams are looking at a pitcher who injured himself running the bases.
    However, he could be a big boost to any of these teams. The Mets need pitching, they could do well to sign him.

10. Melody - Jan 31, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Ha!
    I initially mis-read this as “Four OF Five Teams Pursuing Chien-Ming Wang,” kind of like “Four of five dentists recommend…” I’ve been reading the Onion too much.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto