Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Glen Perkins filed a grievance against the Twins when they optioned him to Triple-A rather than keep him on the major-league disabled list with a shoulder injury. The two sides have since settled the case, but the move left Perkins just short of the service time needed for arbitration eligibility, costing him about $500,000 and causing a whole bunch of tension.
Injuries and inconsistent performances along with the grievance and Minnesota’s glut of young fifth-starter candidates made Perkins a prime offseason trade candidate, and the Twins reportedly offered him to the Padres for Kevin Kouzmanoff at the winter meetings.
For now at least Perkins remains Twins property, but the former first-round pick and native Minnesotan certainly sounds like a man who expects to be traded:
I guess I really found out the hard way that it’s a business. I spent my life cheering for that team. I got drafted by them and got to the majors quick, and two weeks later we’re in the playoffs. I had a really good year in ’08, and everything was rosy. You find out the hard way that it doesn’t really matter.
I think I’m more prepared for this year than I ever have been. I feel like I’m going into an uphill battle [for a roster spot], but I’m fine. My arm’s healthy, and I feel like I’m a major league pitcher. I’m sure if [the Twins] don’t think that, then someone else does.
Those quotes come via an excellent article by Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, which includes all kinds of other intriguing details about Perkins’ situation. I’d definitely have bet on a Perkins trade at the beginning of the offseason and probably still would, but if the Twins can’t find an acceptable deal for him they could delay a decision on Perkins while lessening the rotation glut by simply optioning him back to Triple-A again. Imagine his quotes if that happens …
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)