Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 PM EST
Glen Perkins filed a grievance against the Twins when they optioned him to Triple-A rather than keep him on the major-league disabled list with a shoulder injury. The two sides have since settled the case, but the move left Perkins just short of the service time needed for arbitration eligibility, costing him about $500,000 and causing a whole bunch of tension.
Injuries and inconsistent performances along with the grievance and Minnesota’s glut of young fifth-starter candidates made Perkins a prime offseason trade candidate, and the Twins reportedly offered him to the Padres for Kevin Kouzmanoff at the winter meetings.
For now at least Perkins remains Twins property, but the former first-round pick and native Minnesotan certainly sounds like a man who expects to be traded:
I guess I really found out the hard way that it’s a business. I spent my life cheering for that team. I got drafted by them and got to the majors quick, and two weeks later we’re in the playoffs. I had a really good year in ’08, and everything was rosy. You find out the hard way that it doesn’t really matter.
I think I’m more prepared for this year than I ever have been. I feel like I’m going into an uphill battle [for a roster spot], but I’m fine. My arm’s healthy, and I feel like I’m a major league pitcher. I’m sure if [the Twins] don’t think that, then someone else does.
Those quotes come via an excellent article by Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, which includes all kinds of other intriguing details about Perkins’ situation. I’d definitely have bet on a Perkins trade at the beginning of the offseason and probably still would, but if the Twins can’t find an acceptable deal for him they could delay a decision on Perkins while lessening the rotation glut by simply optioning him back to Triple-A again. Imagine his quotes if that happens …
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)