Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Glen Perkins filed a grievance against the Twins when they optioned him to Triple-A rather than keep him on the major-league disabled list with a shoulder injury. The two sides have since settled the case, but the move left Perkins just short of the service time needed for arbitration eligibility, costing him about $500,000 and causing a whole bunch of tension.
Injuries and inconsistent performances along with the grievance and Minnesota’s glut of young fifth-starter candidates made Perkins a prime offseason trade candidate, and the Twins reportedly offered him to the Padres for Kevin Kouzmanoff at the winter meetings.
For now at least Perkins remains Twins property, but the former first-round pick and native Minnesotan certainly sounds like a man who expects to be traded:
I guess I really found out the hard way that it’s a business. I spent my life cheering for that team. I got drafted by them and got to the majors quick, and two weeks later we’re in the playoffs. I had a really good year in ’08, and everything was rosy. You find out the hard way that it doesn’t really matter.
I think I’m more prepared for this year than I ever have been. I feel like I’m going into an uphill battle [for a roster spot], but I’m fine. My arm’s healthy, and I feel like I’m a major league pitcher. I’m sure if [the Twins] don’t think that, then someone else does.
Those quotes come via an excellent article by Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, which includes all kinds of other intriguing details about Perkins’ situation. I’d definitely have bet on a Perkins trade at the beginning of the offseason and probably still would, but if the Twins can’t find an acceptable deal for him they could delay a decision on Perkins while lessening the rotation glut by simply optioning him back to Triple-A again. Imagine his quotes if that happens …
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)