Ken Griffey Jr. is in the best shape of his life

Jan 29, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT

With the hot stove season winding down, my favorite annual meme begins to pick up steam:

With Spring Training less than three weeks away and arthroscopic
surgery on his left knee more than three months behind him, Griffey
figures to be in much better shape.

“I’m not saying he will look like he did in 1995, but I think
he will look better [than last year],” Mariners head athletic trainer
Rick Griffin said. “I haven’t seen him recently, but he told our
general manager that he will be ‘ripped.'”

He’s ripped, I’m torn.  On the one hand I’d obviously like to see Griffey make a meaningful contribution to a team that looks like it’s going places. On the other hand, seeing a future Hall of Famer walk around like Fred Sanford always made me feel a bit better about my own conditioning, and I’m gonna miss that Ken Griffey.

1. carlos - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it. Regardless, glad to have him in the club house keeping things light and fun.

2. Michael - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM

That’s where Griffey is the one of the biggest throwbacks to players of old: his offseason was usually just that, an offseason. I don’t think he worked out a lick between October and February until around 2000.
    In a way, it’s too bad he never so much as touched a barbell when he was in his prime: we might be talking about an all-time HR leader who never used steroids.
    On the other hand, if he was buff you can bet the Rosenthals and Heymans (Heymen?) would be demanding he “come clean.”

3. Cru11 - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

We would have seen a him as the HR king if it wasn’t for his nagging injuries.

4. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM

But aren’t nagging injuries a sign of steroid usage? If you follow “the signs of steroid usage” according to the pundits, he was using in Seattle because he hit so many HRs, and using in Cincy because he got hurt so often. Of course, the fact that he rarely recovered quickly from those injuries contradicts the idea that steroids help you recover, so he “must” have been off them after he got hurt.
    No, seriously, I’ve never thought he was on anything except his natural ability. The game always came easily to him, so he didn’t need to work out, and eventually it caught up with him.

5. Old Gator - Jan 29, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Well, Craig, since Griffey being in the best shape etc. is your “meme,” might we say that your derision of the motif constitutes an…anti-meme?
    Okay, sorry about that….

6. Cru11 - Jan 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM

I’ve always had that same exact thought in the back of my mind but I don’t wanna believe it…I guess it’s the denial. I’ve always wanted to have this pristine image of Griffey because he was one of the greats while I was growing up.

7. cheaters justice - Jan 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I would hope there would be no steroids. But this might be an example of someone who associates weight training with muscle and mass rather than strength & conditioning. He could still keep his general build with some weight training. Just plain old weight lifting, stretching and cardio and I’d bet an additional 3-5 years could be added on to his career.

8. Tim Tam - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You are a very smart person!

9. Jeremy - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Hi. Just letting u know, I dig your blog, your site is a little bit unique means it a cut above. To be honest I am sick of seeing same-old-same-old most of the time. I’ve just stumbled this page for you :-) Take care.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2562)