Jan 29, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Outfielder Eric Byrnes is on his way to Seattle after signing a one-year deal Friday.
Terms weren’t announced, but it’s certainly for the minimum, given that the Diamondbacks were on the hook for $11 million under the terms of the three-year, $30 million extension he signed in Aug. 2007.
Since he came at such a bargain, Byrnes should have had his pick of teams, even though he’s been a bust in back-to-back seasons. He hit .209/.272/.369 in 206 at-bats in 2008 and .226/.270/.293 in 239 at-bats last year. It was a big 2007 in which he hit .286/.353/.460 and stole 50 bases that landed him his bloated contract.
The addition of Byrnes to Seattle’s outfield suggests that the team might not keep 23-year-old Michael Saunders out of spring training. The Mariners could have let Saunders, Milton Bradley and Ken Griffey Jr. battle it out for playing time between left field and DH (Saunders, of course, always would have played left field when he was in the lineup). Now the Mariners have the option of using Byrnes and Griffey in a platoon, with Bradley playing left field against righties and DH versus lefties. That wouldn’t have worked with Saunders, since both he and Griffey are left-handed hitters.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)