Jan 29, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
Outfielder Eric Byrnes is on his way to Seattle after signing a one-year deal Friday.
Terms weren’t announced, but it’s certainly for the minimum, given that the Diamondbacks were on the hook for $11 million under the terms of the three-year, $30 million extension he signed in Aug. 2007.
Since he came at such a bargain, Byrnes should have had his pick of teams, even though he’s been a bust in back-to-back seasons. He hit .209/.272/.369 in 206 at-bats in 2008 and .226/.270/.293 in 239 at-bats last year. It was a big 2007 in which he hit .286/.353/.460 and stole 50 bases that landed him his bloated contract.
The addition of Byrnes to Seattle’s outfield suggests that the team might not keep 23-year-old Michael Saunders out of spring training. The Mariners could have let Saunders, Milton Bradley and Ken Griffey Jr. battle it out for playing time between left field and DH (Saunders, of course, always would have played left field when he was in the lineup). Now the Mariners have the option of using Byrnes and Griffey in a platoon, with Bradley playing left field against righties and DH versus lefties. That wouldn’t have worked with Saunders, since both he and Griffey are left-handed hitters.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (115)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)