Jan 29, 2010, 9:35 AM EDT
This morning Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining about the Yankees not giving Johnny Damon whatever he wanted to play in New York and scoffing at the notion that the Bombers would impose a budget.
Ten years ago Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining that the Yankees threw money at all of their problems, causing “baseball to die a little bit at a time” due to the Yankees “living big,” and pining for a salary cap. And I recall him making that same complaint several times since then, but this is the first one I found.
These aren’t necessarily inconsistent statements — Lupica is probably still angry at the Yankees for spending a lot of money in a general sense and may merely not believe Cashman’s claim that he has a budget now — but one definitely gets the sense that, to Mike Lupica anyway, the Yankees front office is damned if they exercise a bit of financial sense and damned if they don’t.
(thanks to TheYankeeU for pointing out this morning’s Lupicapalooza)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)