Jan 29, 2010, 9:35 AM EDT
This morning Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining about the Yankees not giving Johnny Damon whatever he wanted to play in New York and scoffing at the notion that the Bombers would impose a budget.
Ten years ago Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining that the Yankees threw money at all of their problems, causing “baseball to die a little bit at a time” due to the Yankees “living big,” and pining for a salary cap. And I recall him making that same complaint several times since then, but this is the first one I found.
These aren’t necessarily inconsistent statements — Lupica is probably still angry at the Yankees for spending a lot of money in a general sense and may merely not believe Cashman’s claim that he has a budget now — but one definitely gets the sense that, to Mike Lupica anyway, the Yankees front office is damned if they exercise a bit of financial sense and damned if they don’t.
(thanks to TheYankeeU for pointing out this morning’s Lupicapalooza)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 45
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)