Jan 29, 2010, 9:35 AM EDT
This morning Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining about the Yankees not giving Johnny Damon whatever he wanted to play in New York and scoffing at the notion that the Bombers would impose a budget.
Ten years ago Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining that the Yankees threw money at all of their problems, causing “baseball to die a little bit at a time” due to the Yankees “living big,” and pining for a salary cap. And I recall him making that same complaint several times since then, but this is the first one I found.
These aren’t necessarily inconsistent statements — Lupica is probably still angry at the Yankees for spending a lot of money in a general sense and may merely not believe Cashman’s claim that he has a budget now — but one definitely gets the sense that, to Mike Lupica anyway, the Yankees front office is damned if they exercise a bit of financial sense and damned if they don’t.
(thanks to TheYankeeU for pointing out this morning’s Lupicapalooza)
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)