Jan 29, 2010, 9:35 AM EDT
This morning Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining about the Yankees not giving Johnny Damon whatever he wanted to play in New York and scoffing at the notion that the Bombers would impose a budget.
Ten years ago Mike Lupica spent two nearly incoherent pages complaining that the Yankees threw money at all of their problems, causing “baseball to die a little bit at a time” due to the Yankees “living big,” and pining for a salary cap. And I recall him making that same complaint several times since then, but this is the first one I found.
These aren’t necessarily inconsistent statements — Lupica is probably still angry at the Yankees for spending a lot of money in a general sense and may merely not believe Cashman’s claim that he has a budget now — but one definitely gets the sense that, to Mike Lupica anyway, the Yankees front office is damned if they exercise a bit of financial sense and damned if they don’t.
(thanks to TheYankeeU for pointing out this morning’s Lupicapalooza)
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)