Nightengale: "Mauer talks couldn't be going better"

Jan 29, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale is in Minnesota taking a tour of the new ballpark and tweets “Twins manager Ron Gardenhire says talks with Joe Mauer couldn’t be going better,” and that “It would be massive upset if Mauer contract extension isn’t resolved by spring.

This wouldn’t be at all surprising in that I think everyone’s gut feeling is that  Mauer will get his extension before the season. But I’m not sure how in-the-loop Gardenhire, and by extension Nightengale would be on negotiations. I mean, wouldn’t you rather have your field manager out of that almost entirely so that his relationship with the player isn’t colored by business stuff?

Still, anything that keeps the Yankees and Sox fans from coveting their neighbor’s catcher is fine by me.

1. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I hope you will comfort him and hold him ever so gently on those cold Minnesota nights when he realizes he doesn’t have one stinking World Series Ring.I hope you will be there to wipe away the tears that flow down his soft facial skin, if not you, then who, certainly not Derek Jeter.He would look so good in pinstripes, they will bring out the true color of his eye.We will keep the lights on for you, you never know.

2. Ace - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Although I am a devoted Red Sox fan, I actually hope they don’t go after Mauer. I like to think we still live in an age when a superstar can play out his entire career for his home team, especially when that team isn’t one of the super-rich juggernauts. Heartwarming, really.

3. Bruce Jordan - Jan 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM

As a diehard Yankee fan and former resident of the Twin Cities I feel it would be a shame if Joe Mauer is not extended by the Twins. The people of the upper midwest deserve to keep one of their own. It is too bad that the Twins and Joe Mauer do not get the national exposure they derserve.

4. Dan - Jan 29, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I’m pretty sure Joe Mauer already wears pinstripes.

5. dl3mk3 - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

He’s as good as signed, and heres why-his brother is opening a chevrolet dealership in the st.paul area this coming monday (advertising on the local sports radio station constantly). I think that if anyone knows what Joe is thinking about it would be his brother-and if Joe was thinking about testing FA why the heck wouldnt the bro just open the dealership in NY or Boston right now?

6. snArky Vaughn - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:50 PM

The internet taketh away. I wanted to explain my favorite “no pun intended” joke was the 10th commandments’ “Thou shalt not covet they neighbor’s ass.” Alas, it was not meant to be.
    But, the internet also giveth. Part of the text for the 10th commandment includes “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s[...] male or female slaves [...]
    Ah, the good ole days, when pitchers hit in both leagues and people could own other people…

7. travel tulum mexico - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I am thinking a similar thing. Occasionally I just do not comprehend how folks can believe you’re not right.

8. Tony A - Jan 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

“snArky Vaughn”, hmmmm, I like that. Good name…

9. playa - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hi. I actually liked reading through your post!. Remarkable written content. I would have to recommend you to do articles much more often. Using this method, with such a helpful site I believe you may rank higher in the search engines :) . I also subscribed to your Rss. Keep up this excellent job!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline