Jan 29, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
USA Today’s Bob Nightengale is in Minnesota taking a tour of the new ballpark and tweets “Twins manager Ron Gardenhire says talks with Joe Mauer couldn’t be going better,” and that “It would be massive upset if Mauer contract extension isn’t resolved by spring.”
This wouldn’t be at all surprising in that I think everyone’s gut feeling is that Mauer will get his extension before the season. But I’m not sure how in-the-loop Gardenhire, and by extension Nightengale would be on negotiations. I mean, wouldn’t you rather have your field manager out of that almost entirely so that his relationship with the player isn’t colored by business stuff?
Still, anything that keeps the Yankees and Sox fans from coveting their neighbor’s catcher is fine by me.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)