Jan 29, 2010, 3:16 PM EST
USA Today’s Bob Nightengale is in Minnesota taking a tour of the new ballpark and tweets “Twins manager Ron Gardenhire says talks with Joe Mauer couldn’t be going better,” and that “It would be massive upset if Mauer contract extension isn’t resolved by spring.”
This wouldn’t be at all surprising in that I think everyone’s gut feeling is that Mauer will get his extension before the season. But I’m not sure how in-the-loop Gardenhire, and by extension Nightengale would be on negotiations. I mean, wouldn’t you rather have your field manager out of that almost entirely so that his relationship with the player isn’t colored by business stuff?
Still, anything that keeps the Yankees and Sox fans from coveting their neighbor’s catcher is fine by me.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 55
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (141)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)