Omar Minaya: "I'm in charge"

Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT

Omar Minaya was on SNY last night and was asked, in light of assistant GM John Ricco handling questions on the Beltran stuff and Ken Rosenthal’s recent report that the Wilpons micromanage the free agent process, whether he has full autonomy over the direction of the Mets:

“Yes, I do. I know there’s been some talk about that, but I have full autonomy. We feel good about working together and we’ll continue to
work together (in the front office).”

I know office politics can be rather complicated, but generally speaking, if you have to tell people that you’re in charge, you’re probably not really in charge.

1. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

If he is not in charge why hasn’t the person who is in charge stated that he is now in charge.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jan 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM

He’s got the Alexander Haig down pat, maybe he can work on Napoleon or Nero next.

3. Old Gator - Jan 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Damn, you beat me to Haig by seconds. I can only counter with Abolhassan Banisadr.

4. Ryan - Jan 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM

He who rips his shirt off first is the one who is truly in charge.

5. BC - Jan 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Omar doing his best impersonation of Alexander Haig and Captain Queeg all rolled into one. I suppose he’s wondering who took his strawberries, too?

6. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM

It’s my understanding he’s been impersonating a GM for nearly a decade, too.

7. YANKEES1996 - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Would you admit to being “in charge” if it was you that was “in charge” but you had Omar as your “in charge” scapegoat?

8. Alex K - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM

What I wan to know is where is Jason@IITMS? Come on Jason, we all know you have a zillion ready to go at all times! I’m waiting patiently……

9. Alex K - Jan 29, 2010 at 4:25 PM

a zillion jokes that is.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4939)