Jan 29, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Last night Pablo Sandoval was in San Jose to drop the puck before the San Jose Sharks-Chicago Blackhawks game. Because of that, other Giants’ promotional obligations and the team’s desire to get his beefy butt back into Camp Panda, it was assumed that he would not be participating in tonight’s deciding game of the Venezuelan championship series between the Navegantes del Magallanes and the Leones de Caracas.
But wait? What’s that?! Why, that– that’s Kung-Fu Panda’s music!!! That’s right. Pablo Sandoval just arrived at the ballpark in Caracas via helicopter to lead Navegantes del Magallanes into battle. And it gets better: El Nacional reporter Alexander Mendoza reports that his flight was coordinated by the Venezuelan government just for the occasion.
Of course, it probably helps that Navegantes del Magallanes is reported to be President Hugo Chavez’s favorite team . . .
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (206)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)