Jan 29, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Last night Pablo Sandoval was in San Jose to drop the puck before the San Jose Sharks-Chicago Blackhawks game. Because of that, other Giants’ promotional obligations and the team’s desire to get his beefy butt back into Camp Panda, it was assumed that he would not be participating in tonight’s deciding game of the Venezuelan championship series between the Navegantes del Magallanes and the Leones de Caracas.
But wait? What’s that?! Why, that– that’s Kung-Fu Panda’s music!!! That’s right. Pablo Sandoval just arrived at the ballpark in Caracas via helicopter to lead Navegantes del Magallanes into battle. And it gets better: El Nacional reporter Alexander Mendoza reports that his flight was coordinated by the Venezuelan government just for the occasion.
Of course, it probably helps that Navegantes del Magallanes is reported to be President Hugo Chavez’s favorite team . . .
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)