Jan 29, 2010, 8:28 AM EDT
It was reported yesterday that the Mets were close to a deal with Fernando Tatis to be their part-time first baseman. Now that deal is done, according to the New York Post. Tatis will get less than the $1.7 million he made last year, but there are some incentives built in that can get him close, the Post reports.
I hadn’t realized this before, but there is apparently a personal connection between Omar Minaya and Tatis, in that Minaya signed Tatis to his first
professional contract in 1992 when Minaya was a scout for the Rangers. Minaya subsequently brought him to Montreal and then of course to New York. Still, it’s not as if this was purely a friendship deal, as the Mariners Rockies and Indians were all reportedly interested in Tatis to greater or lesser degrees.
To the extent Mets fans are unhappy about this, look on the bright side: Ike Davis made Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list released yesterday — he’s at 64 — and if all things go as planned, he’ll probably be manning first in Queens next year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)