Yankees fan cancels season tickets over Randy Winn signing

Jan 29, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT

New Stadium Insider got hold of an email exchange between the Yankees’ season ticket sales people and a now former season ticket holder who isn’t doing anything to fight the Yankees-fans-suffer-from-an-overactive-sense-of-entitlement-stereotype:

After an amazing season in which the Yankees brought the trophy back
home, sadly it seems they have lost their focus on winning another
championship this year.

The list of transgressions includes
bringing in players who have already proven they aren’t capable of
succeeding in ny ( nick Johnson and Javier vasquez), destroying the
farm system that was finally being built back up to aquire older
players who have had mediocre careers (granderson) and today the
signing of winn in order to save some money instead of bringing back
one of the most productive players as well as a great teammate, Johnny
Damon was the final straw.

This “fan” then proceeds to write that Brian Cashman doesn’t care about winning, and that “the Boss’s sons are more concerned with a profit margin than winning championships.” He refers to 2008 being a “rebuilding” year for the Yankees in which they “sacrificed” winning in order to ensure a better future, there’s no excuse for it now. He then cancels his season ticket plan.

Look, I would never condone violence, but I’m just sayin': If some Royals or Pirates fans decided to, I dunno, find this guy and beat him with a bag full of doorknobs or something, I probably wouldn’t call the police until after they were finished.

1. RichardInDallas - Jan 29, 2010 at 1:42 PM

For the typical Yankee fan, true hapiness can only be realized when there is NO CHANCE of anyone else winning anything. The season’s results must be predetermined, or they might actually experience the nervousness of being in a close game in a tight pennant race in late September. Personally, I’d rather be a fan of a team that always has a chance to win it, even if they never do. It’s not ALL about the trophy count, it’s about the self imposed anxiety of putting your heart into a close pennant race….

2. Charles Gates - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Richard: As a Yankees fan, I agree with you. I was looking forward to the 2008 season with Joba, Hughes and Ian Kennedy in the rotation. It cost us the post season…but if it worked, we were looking at the equivalent of a Smoltz/Maddux/Glavine rotation for the next decade. For me, it’s the long term strategy that I find enjoyable.
    That being said, I’m more excited to watch the Orioles progress this year, for the same reason — the emergence of McPhail’s crop of prospects.

3. Jonny5 - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Agreed! Being a Philly fan i’ve experienced this first hand. We had to endure years of horrible seasons and put downs from fans of “better” teams. but let me tell you, the joy of watching a team grow into contention and finally win the big one was exhilerating for all Philly fans. It was much better than “expecting” your team to go all the way imo. Now we have furious Philly fans because we don’t have both Halladay and Lee. I say to them, “What are you turning into a Yankee fan now????” Sure ,I would have liked to have kept them both as well, but To be angry about the team not being able to do it because of the budget is plain silly.

4. Charles Gates - Jan 29, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Jonny5: I agree.
    But I feel it is also silly just to assume that the Yankees don’t have a budget — just ’cause they’re the Yankees. I’m not saying you insinuated that, just stating a general opinion.

5. John C - Jan 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM

I’m a huge Yankee fan, and I want to beat this guy with a bag of doorknobs.
    Fans like that give all Yankees fans a negative image. I love the Yankees- but to keep spouting this “They’re only spending $200 million (THE HIGHEST IN THE ENTIRE SPORT, BY A LARGE MARGIN) so they don’t care about winning is idiotic.
    Now, if only I could’ve asked the guy if he’d just give the tix to me for free instead…cause I mean if he’s not willing to spend big bucks frivolously, than HE must not care about the team, and is more concerned with turning a profit in his pocket.

6. Tony A - Jan 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I’m a LOT more amazed that there are so many who aren’t! Since when did the audience care how much the producer spent on the production. All we should care about is if the product’s any damned good. I can also recall when people used to talk up the fact that they had “spared no expense, traveled to the four corners of the world” to bring us such and such. Why do we care about cost effectiveness if it merely weakens the team? “That Ledger guy wanted too much money, so I got some unknown to play the Joker. Not like anyone in a Batman flick’s going to get Oscar consideration or anything…”
    Professional sports are entertainment, and, the cost cutting GM’s of today smack too much of, say, Zero and Gene in “The Producers”

7. Pat - Feb 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM

It’s funny that the Yankees owners put money into the team unlike just about every other team in the MLB. The others are all far more greedy. The Yankees at least are in it to win, not just make a profit. But yeah, this year they’re in it for the money it seems. Which is sad, because it means that that’s how EVERY TEAM is in 2010.
    Let’s go Yankees.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3071)