Jan 30, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the Cardinals are Rockies are among the teams interested in free agent second baseman Felipe Lopez.
Lopez, who turns 30 in May, has been overshadowed by Orlando Hudson of late, but is coming off a season in which he batted .310/.383/.427 with nine home runs, 57 RBI and 88 runs scored with the Diamondbacks and Brewers. Though Hudson won the Gold Glove, Lopez outperformed him in UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating). And as I compiled in November, Lopez ranked fourth among free agents in WAR (Wins Above Replacement) last season.
Lopez doesn’t have the reputation of Hudson, but he is nearly three years younger and with the ability to play shortstop, third base and the outfield, he’s far more versatile. Whoever signs him will have a found a nice bargain.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)