Jan 30, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the Cardinals are Rockies are among the teams interested in free agent second baseman Felipe Lopez.
Lopez, who turns 30 in May, has been overshadowed by Orlando Hudson of late, but is coming off a season in which he batted .310/.383/.427 with nine home runs, 57 RBI and 88 runs scored with the Diamondbacks and Brewers. Though Hudson won the Gold Glove, Lopez outperformed him in UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating). And as I compiled in November, Lopez ranked fourth among free agents in WAR (Wins Above Replacement) last season.
Lopez doesn’t have the reputation of Hudson, but he is nearly three years younger and with the ability to play shortstop, third base and the outfield, he’s far more versatile. Whoever signs him will have a found a nice bargain.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)