Jan 30, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
Update: According to the Associated Press, Nutting declined to listen to separate proposals to buy the team last season, including one by Lemieux. Minor league team owner Chuck Greenberg also submitted a proposal, but later joined Nolan Ryan in a successful bid to buy the Rangers.
11:06 am: Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mario Lemieux and Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle recently made an unsolicited offer to Pirates owner Bob Nutting, but did not hear a response. The offer was reportedly “very serious,” but Nutting downplayed the possibility when asked by Kovacevic:
“Honestly, I’m not sure there’s a situation to describe,” Mr. Nutting
said last night when asked about the meeting. “I like Ron. He’s an
extremely competent businessman and deal-maker, and we’ve talked about
a wide range of topics. But I think the simplest way to say this is
that there never has been a substantive or formal offer for the team.
The team is not for sale.”
There will likely be two schools of thought on this:
1) Hopes that Lemieux — a Pittsburgh hero — and Burkle could bring the same sort of success they brought to the Penguins after the lockout.
2) That Nutting and co. deserve more time to implement their plan for the franchise.
It may lead somewhere. Or, as Nutting suggests, it’s not even a consideration. It’s an interesting thought at the very least.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 73
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)