Jan 31, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Bloomberg Sports rolled out a demo of their new fantasy baseball product in New York this afternoon. Through a partnership with MLB Advanced Media, the goal is to lure fantasy players away from competitors like Yahoo! and ESPN. While it will surely appeal to the already fantasy-savvy, the new portal through MLB.com signifies an effort to mainstream fantasy baseball in a way that can increase interest in the sport, similar to what fantasy football has done to the NFL.
It’s a nice start, but I’ve always believed that there is a ceiling to how successful a fantasy baseball model can be, at least in comparison to the NFL. The reason fantasy football has become the behemoth it is today is because its schedule requires less of a time commitment on behalf of the average person, while baseball involves a rigorous day-to-day schedule. This reflects in the insane television ratings and sales of NFL Ticket, as the average fantasy player has a stake in every regular season game, while in baseball, they do not. That said, I’ll root for anything that improves the quality of analysis and evaluation and growth of the game and fantasy baseball. Having great minds like Jonah Keri on board will certainly help towards that end.
Anyhow, while you’ll have to wait until February 18 to use Bloomberg’s draft kit, you can purchase Rotoworld’s Draft Guide right now, with special appearances by me scattered throughout! You’ll get analysis, projections, and profiles for over 1,000 players, as well as articles covering prospects, keeper-league strategies, mock
drafts, sleepers and busts. There are customizable, printable cheat
sheets, updated depth charts for
all teams and ADP projections. Basically anything and everything you need to be prepared for your fantasy draft, constantly updated throughout Spring Training. Let those guys stick to stocks and bonds, we got this fantasy baseball thing covered.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)