Jan 31, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Bloomberg Sports rolled out a demo of their new fantasy baseball product in New York this afternoon. Through a partnership with MLB Advanced Media, the goal is to lure fantasy players away from competitors like Yahoo! and ESPN. While it will surely appeal to the already fantasy-savvy, the new portal through MLB.com signifies an effort to mainstream fantasy baseball in a way that can increase interest in the sport, similar to what fantasy football has done to the NFL.
It’s a nice start, but I’ve always believed that there is a ceiling to how successful a fantasy baseball model can be, at least in comparison to the NFL. The reason fantasy football has become the behemoth it is today is because its schedule requires less of a time commitment on behalf of the average person, while baseball involves a rigorous day-to-day schedule. This reflects in the insane television ratings and sales of NFL Ticket, as the average fantasy player has a stake in every regular season game, while in baseball, they do not. That said, I’ll root for anything that improves the quality of analysis and evaluation and growth of the game and fantasy baseball. Having great minds like Jonah Keri on board will certainly help towards that end.
Anyhow, while you’ll have to wait until February 18 to use Bloomberg’s draft kit, you can purchase Rotoworld’s Draft Guide right now, with special appearances by me scattered throughout! You’ll get analysis, projections, and profiles for over 1,000 players, as well as articles covering prospects, keeper-league strategies, mock
drafts, sleepers and busts. There are customizable, printable cheat
sheets, updated depth charts for
all teams and ADP projections. Basically anything and everything you need to be prepared for your fantasy draft, constantly updated throughout Spring Training. Let those guys stick to stocks and bonds, we got this fantasy baseball thing covered.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)