Jan 31, 2010, 8:56 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is back with his usual Sunday column of baseball goodies. Head over there to read the whole thing — where you’ll find an interesting look at the “contract year theory,” as well as updates on Gary Sheffield, Will Ohman, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jarrod Washburn — but what really caught my eye was his update on Pedro Martinez.
According to Cafardo, a few “baseball people” are linking Martinez with Texas, although there’s “no evidence” of such a marriage yet. The Rangers signed Rich Harden this winter, but lack veteran leadership on the staff after trading Kevin Millwood to the Orioles.
We can all agree that staying in the National League would probably be the best move for the 38-year-old Martinez going forward, but imagine what his presence could do for fellow Dominican Neftali Feliz, who already looks brilliant at the tender age of 21.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8