Jan 31, 2010, 8:56 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is back with his usual Sunday column of baseball goodies. Head over there to read the whole thing — where you’ll find an interesting look at the “contract year theory,” as well as updates on Gary Sheffield, Will Ohman, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jarrod Washburn — but what really caught my eye was his update on Pedro Martinez.
According to Cafardo, a few “baseball people” are linking Martinez with Texas, although there’s “no evidence” of such a marriage yet. The Rangers signed Rich Harden this winter, but lack veteran leadership on the staff after trading Kevin Millwood to the Orioles.
We can all agree that staying in the National League would probably be the best move for the 38-year-old Martinez going forward, but imagine what his presence could do for fellow Dominican Neftali Feliz, who already looks brilliant at the tender age of 21.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 9
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 9
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)