Jan 31, 2010, 8:56 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is back with his usual Sunday column of baseball goodies. Head over there to read the whole thing — where you’ll find an interesting look at the “contract year theory,” as well as updates on Gary Sheffield, Will Ohman, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jarrod Washburn — but what really caught my eye was his update on Pedro Martinez.
According to Cafardo, a few “baseball people” are linking Martinez with Texas, although there’s “no evidence” of such a marriage yet. The Rangers signed Rich Harden this winter, but lack veteran leadership on the staff after trading Kevin Millwood to the Orioles.
We can all agree that staying in the National League would probably be the best move for the 38-year-old Martinez going forward, but imagine what his presence could do for fellow Dominican Neftali Feliz, who already looks brilliant at the tender age of 21.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)