Pssst. Johnny Damon is still available.

Jan 31, 2010, 9:33 AM EST

Oh, you didn’t hear? It might as well be a secret since the Johnny Damon front has been pretty quiet over the past few days. In his Sunday column for ESPN.com, Buster Olney provides an excellent timeline of events during the negotiations with the Yankees, writing that “it’s laughable that the Yankees are taking flak for not working out a contract” with the 36-year-old outfielder.

The Reds appear out of the running after signing Orlando Cabrera and if Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is correct, you’d have to think the odds of him joining the Athletics would take a hit if they sign Gabe Gross as a fourth outfielder. This leaves only a precious few with the ability to sign him. The Rays remain in the mix, but in his weekly column for the Chicago Tribune, Phil Rogers handicaps the Tigers as the favorite.

1. mopar man - Jan 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM

JOHNNY SCREWED UP. THE YANKEES DON’T NEED HIS BAT, THEY HAVE PLENTY OF OFFENSE. I THINK THEY SAW A DECLINE IN HIS DEFENSE, AND WERE WORRIED ABOUT IT. BRET GARDNER IS SURLY NOT THE ANSWER , ALL HIS SPEED IS PRETTY MUCH WORTHLESS , BECAUSE HE’LL NEVER BE A MAJOR LEAGUE HITTER. GARDNER WILL ONLY BE A DEFENSIVE LATE INNING REPLACEMENT. I LOOK FOR THE YANKS TO GET A GOOD OUTFIELDER WHO CAN HIT AND FIELD , EITHER BEFORE SPRING TRAINING OR BY THE TRADE DEADLINE.

2. Mike - Jan 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Johnny overplayed his hand early on. Too bad for everyone. He fit in well with the team, could handle the NY pressure and was/is a character guy. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

3. Mike - Jan 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM

4. John Pileggi - Jan 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Scott Boras is having a rough couple of years. He still commands money and attention, but it appears that he no longer sets the tone for negotiations.

5. Old Gator - Jan 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I hope he lads somewhere soon, too. Every time I see his name come up yet again, my eyelids grow heavy and I want to find a nice soft couch to lay back on and….z.z.z.z.z.zzzzzz….

6. JORGE AKEL - Jan 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Johnny Damon is not with the YANKEES because he prefers to stay with Scott Boras. That is all. Can you imagine Damon refusing 14 million for 2 years?

7. Old Gator - Jan 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Sure.
    Just like I can imagine myself refusing a night with Salma Hayek.

8. Curious George - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM

“THE YANKEES DON’T NEED HIS BAT, THEY HAVE PLENTY OF OFFENSE.”
    This is a patently ridiculous remark. Yes, the Yankees have a lot of offense. So they should just punt on left field then? Damon (offense + defense combined) will outperform Gardner/Winn in 2010. That’s a net negative for the team. This isn’t rocket science.

9. Fast Eddy - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I think that you and Mor Par are partially corrrect. Damon does have a needed bat, however, I don’t feel that he is durable enough to give the Yankees what they need. That is why the are looking elsewhere. Damon is better suited to a team with plenty of power and OF hitters. He can spell the regulars and PH or DH. His value is less if he is tried as an every day player. Look for a team which will use him only as a fill in player in the OF, where his well rested bat can be usefull. Of course, that does not command 14 MIl for two years. More like a short one year deal for less than 4 Mil.

10. Hi - Jan 31, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Hey mate, when viewing at your blog i see some kind of weird codes all over the page, in case it’s important I just thought I’d let you know it says this with all sorts of other stuff after it: “Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent in wp-settings.php line 12″

11. Renegade - Jan 31, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Try writing like an adult. Drop the all-caps.

12. Al T - Jan 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Damon’s greed got in the way. He screwed up and will end up on a bad team.

13. Curious George - Jan 31, 2010 at 10:18 PM

“I don’t feel that he is durable enough to give the Yankees what they need.”
    Every old player is a cause for concern and Damon *is* 36. Still, he has averaged just over 140 games each of the past three seasons, with OPS+s of 96, 118 and 126, so there’s no immediately obvious reason that he should suddenly be considered a part-time player. At worst, a diminished role in a platoon capacity with a Reed Johnson could have made for a solid $8M one-year solution in LF.
    Setting aside the Boras issue and the ridiculous original 4/52 demands, neither of which are inconsequential, fans are somehow now trying to pretend that Damon wouldn’t be as valuable as the team’s new left field arrangement. The animus aimed at Damon and Boras is not without foundation, but that should not be conflated with an objective assessment of Damon’s talents. The man is coming off two very good seasons with no indication that a demise is imminent.
    Call Damon greedy. Call Boras greedy. Mock Damon’s throwing arm. But it’s only in Bizzaro Land that Gardner/Winn should be considered an upgrade.

14. MOPAR MAN - Feb 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM

HEY JERK OFF, I DIDN’T KNOW THIS WAS A LITERATURE LESSON.I THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT THE YANKEES.JUST TO LET YOUR DUMB ASS KNOW , MY CAP LOCK IS BROKE, NOT THAT YOU DESERVE AN ANSWER.

15. mopar man - Feb 1, 2010 at 12:23 AM

GEORGE , MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE READ MY COMPLETE STATEMENT, FOR EXAMPLE THE LAST SENTENCE STATING BEFORE THE TRADE DEADLINE THEY WILL PICK UP AN OUTFIELDER WHO CAN HIT AND FIELD. WINN CAN FIELD THE POSITION, PLUS I FEEL HE’LL HIT BETTER WITH THE YANKS THAN HE DID WITH THE GIANTS. GARDNER CAN’T HIT HIS ASS WITH BOTH HANDS.I WAS SO HOPING THEY WOULD GET RID OF HIM.HE WILL NEVER HIT MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHING.

16. Fast Eddy - Feb 1, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I don’t think Damon or Boras are greedy. They are just trying to get what the teams will pay. I don’t blame either one for that. However, he id getting older and has problems with legs. The fact that the Yankees did not want to sign him for 2 years, says something about his ability to play as a full time player for a long term. We will see where he ends up, but I doubt that any thing he has done in the past, are any indication of the future. Lets see where he ends up.

17. Furniture Wardrobes - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM

This is an amazing post, I loved the information. Thank You!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5939)