Jan 31, 2010, 9:33 AM EST
Oh, you didn’t hear? It might as well be a secret since the Johnny Damon front has been pretty quiet over the past few days. In his Sunday column for ESPN.com, Buster Olney provides an excellent timeline of events during the negotiations with the Yankees, writing that “it’s laughable that the Yankees are taking flak for not working out a contract” with the 36-year-old outfielder.
The Reds appear out of the running after signing Orlando Cabrera and if Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is correct, you’d have to think the odds of him joining the Athletics would take a hit if they sign Gabe Gross as a fourth outfielder. This leaves only a precious few with the ability to sign him. The Rays remain in the mix, but in his weekly column for the Chicago Tribune, Phil Rogers handicaps the Tigers as the favorite.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 0
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 12
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)