Jan 31, 2010, 11:53 AM EDT
Update: He’ll earn $1.3 million, tweets Rosenthal.
11:53 am: Many expected one to follow the other, and true to form, after Orlando Cabrera signed with the Reds, the Rockies inked Melvin Mora to a one-year contract, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. Terms of the contract aren’t yet available.
Mora, who turns 38 next month, batted .260/.321/.358 with eight home runs and 48 RBI in tumultuous year with the Orioles last season. He battled with manager Dave Trembley after being benched and went over two months without hitting a home run. Nobody wanted to take a chance on his fading production as a starting player, so he’ll have to embrace the role of a utility man, similar to the early days of his major league career with the Mets and Orioles.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 3
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 70
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (172)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)