Jan 31, 2010, 8:33 AM EDT
Update: Brown reports that the Reds have agreed to terms with Cabrera on a one-year, $3 million contract with a $3 million option for 2011. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, there’s a $1 million buyout on the second year.
Saturday 6:33 pm: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports hears that Orlando Cabrera is leaning towards choosing the Reds over the Rockies, with a deal likely done today.
Cabrera would have a better chance to win in Colorado, but with Troy Tulowitzki as the starting shortstop, he’d have to accept a part-time role with the club, most likely at second base, a position he hasn’t played regularly since 1998. The Reds love Paul Janish’s glove at shortstop (he only played 82 games at the position last season, but led all shortstops in UZR/150), but don’t think they can shoulder his meager offensive production over the course of a full season.
As Cincinnati emerges as the clear favorite for Cabrera, Troy Renck of the Denver Post tells us that the Rockies are a finalist for free agent infielder Melvin Mora. The Mariners and Rangers are also rumored to have interest in the 37-year-old. Mora has only played third base since the 2004 season, but the Rockies believe he could also play second base and outfield. He served a similar utility role with the Mets and in his early days with the Orioles.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 0
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 3
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 8
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 182
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (182)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)