Jan 31, 2010, 8:33 AM EDT
Update: Brown reports that the Reds have agreed to terms with Cabrera on a one-year, $3 million contract with a $3 million option for 2011. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, there’s a $1 million buyout on the second year.
Saturday 6:33 pm: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports hears that Orlando Cabrera is leaning towards choosing the Reds over the Rockies, with a deal likely done today.
Cabrera would have a better chance to win in Colorado, but with Troy Tulowitzki as the starting shortstop, he’d have to accept a part-time role with the club, most likely at second base, a position he hasn’t played regularly since 1998. The Reds love Paul Janish’s glove at shortstop (he only played 82 games at the position last season, but led all shortstops in UZR/150), but don’t think they can shoulder his meager offensive production over the course of a full season.
As Cincinnati emerges as the clear favorite for Cabrera, Troy Renck of the Denver Post tells us that the Rockies are a finalist for free agent infielder Melvin Mora. The Mariners and Rangers are also rumored to have interest in the 37-year-old. Mora has only played third base since the 2004 season, but the Rockies believe he could also play second base and outfield. He served a similar utility role with the Mets and in his early days with the Orioles.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)