Jan 31, 2010, 8:33 AM EST
Update: Brown reports that the Reds have agreed to terms with Cabrera on a one-year, $3 million contract with a $3 million option for 2011. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, there’s a $1 million buyout on the second year.
Saturday 6:33 pm: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports hears that Orlando Cabrera is leaning towards choosing the Reds over the Rockies, with a deal likely done today.
Cabrera would have a better chance to win in Colorado, but with Troy Tulowitzki as the starting shortstop, he’d have to accept a part-time role with the club, most likely at second base, a position he hasn’t played regularly since 1998. The Reds love Paul Janish’s glove at shortstop (he only played 82 games at the position last season, but led all shortstops in UZR/150), but don’t think they can shoulder his meager offensive production over the course of a full season.
As Cincinnati emerges as the clear favorite for Cabrera, Troy Renck of the Denver Post tells us that the Rockies are a finalist for free agent infielder Melvin Mora. The Mariners and Rangers are also rumored to have interest in the 37-year-old. Mora has only played third base since the 2004 season, but the Rockies believe he could also play second base and outfield. He served a similar utility role with the Mets and in his early days with the Orioles.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)