Bob Gibson on steroids: "I think I would have been tempted"

Feb 1, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT

Hey Bob Gibson! Would you have considered using steroids?

“Absolutely. I’m just happy they weren’t available (when he
played), because if I knew somebody else was doing it and appeared to
be getting an edge, I think I have would have been tempted.”

Gibson
is also less than impressed with the Jack Clarks and Whitey Herzogs of
the world, as well as the reporters who keep playing the “this is going
to be a distraction” card:

“Those two (Herzog, Clark) aren’t in the Cardinals family. I
don’t think that’s going to be an issue with anybody other than between
McGwire and them — which it probably should be. I don’t think it’s
their place to criticize him the way they did.  There’s always going to be somebody asking a whole bunch of questions
but I don’t think the fans are that involved with it. What gets under their skin is reporters constantly delving into it. If
the reporters leave it alone, the fans will leave it alone. That’s just
the way I see it.”

Obviously people disagree on this stuff, but since Bob Gibson is the man who once told Tim McCarver to shut up in the middle of a ballgame, I’m more likely to see the world the way he sees it.

1. Gelardia - Feb 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Nice to see him be honest about it and I’m very glad that he accomplished what he did without them. Of course he may have used Greenies but what the hey, I can’t worry about that.
    I say let em all take steroids if they wanna have shrinky dinks and if they end up like Lyle Alzado, that’s their effin problem.

2. Joey B - Feb 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

“”Absolutely. I’m just happy they weren’t available (when he played), because if I knew somebody else was doing it and appeared to be getting an edge, I think I have would have been tempted.””
    Pretty interesting, but not for the reasons that you’d expect.
    The defenders of McGwire always say that this stuff has been around forever, and that others have taken it, and therefore we must be forgiving of McGwire’s transgressions. But it cannot have been very popular if Gibson didn’t know anyone that he knew was doing it.

3. CharlieH - Feb 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Yes, of course he would have been tempted, and all the other ballplayers would have been tempted. And I am sure that he and everyone else in the world is tempted all the time to do things we should not do. That is the honest answer. So what. Are you going to ask every ballplayer if they would have been tempted. The only answer for all of them is yes. There is a big difference between being tempted and caving in to that temptation. It seems Mr. Gibson is speaking up for fellow Cardinal Mark McGwire. Fair enough. Mark has taken a lot of heat for his PEDs use. Maybe the press could shift it’s attention to some other users. There are lots of other players they can ragg on besides Mark.

4. edd - Feb 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

good thing the use of amphetamines were running rampant throught the league…

5. motherscratcher - Feb 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Why does Bob Gibson refuse to considerthe children? Doesn’t Bob Gibson care about them at all?

6. Rays fan - Feb 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Hooray for Bob Gibson. The more players like him, Buck O’Neill, and Bill Buckner talk, the fewer people with pitchforks, tar and feathers.

7. Brent - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Disappointing….As a pitcher, I have always respected Bob Gibson and always wished I could have seen him play, but after that comment he has lost my respect. If Herzog and Clark arent in the Cardinals family, I dont know who is. I agree with both of them, if you have done steroids you shouldnt be allowed in the Hall of Fame. You have done something wrong and now you must deal with the consequences. If you can’t do it legitimately, then you do not deserve to be in the Hall. If you have respect for the game and as well as strong character, then you wouldn’t resort to cheating.

8. Fabrazyme - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:53 AM