Boras works on pushing Damon to Detroit

Feb 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT

Seemingly just about out of alternatives, agent Scott Boras is trying to get the Tigers to bite on free agent Johnny Damon.
Boras told the Detroit News on Monday that Damon indicated in December that he wanted to become a Tiger, and he’s turning to statistics to show that it would be a good fit: “He’s batted .363 at Comerica Park, he has a .412 on-base percentage at Comerica,” Boras said.
The Tigers are interested in adding a left-handed hitter and they could certainly use a leadoff man, but money is tight and Damon certainly won’t get the dollars he’s looking for from the team.
If the Tigers added Damon, they’d play him in left field and shift Carlos Guillen primarily into the DH role. Ryan Raburn would again be looked at as a backup, but he’d likely get plenty of playing time because of his versatility.

1. 2cents - Feb 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM

It’s like a movie script that writes itself…
    “Come on Scott…ya shoulda went back in there and tell ‘em we’ll take it. I wanna be a Yankee”.
    “Johnny…Johnny, listen to me. Let ‘em sweat. I’ve been around these types all my life. They just wanna squezze ya”.
    “It wasn’t me Scott…it was you. You was going for the price on Holliiday. You was my agent Scott. You shoulda looked out for me so I wouldn’t have to take some short end money. I coulda been a Yankee”.
    …or something like that.

2. Nasty Boy - Feb 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM

2cent, Great line, but it really sounds like Scott & Johnny. Poor Johnny,maybe he should of talked to Arod ?

3. big time - Feb 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Johnny wouldn’t be able to talk that long. He has trouble speaking from all those head shots.
    Call the Yankees and say you will play for the league minimum with incentives…..Show them how to do it.

4. airedale - Feb 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Is Boras some sort of Witch? Does he have pictures of his clients with small furry animals?…or chickens?
    Correspondingly, is Johnny Damon that full of himself, and so blinded by the mirror, that he hasn’t watched the replays of his fielding and throwing prowess? You can still hit, and still run most of the time, and you are still one hell of a nice guy….but a 10 Million a year player you ain’t now or before for that matter.
    Seems these two guys deserve each other, and they can split the 5 mill or less the Tiger’s will offer.
    Only trouble is, Scotty will go home to his zillion dollar digs for the summer. Damon will be spending it in
    detroit.

5. Geek - Feb 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I love public negotiation and poker where everyone see’s everryone elses cards.

6. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Great stuff. Damon as Marlon Brando and Boras as Rod Steiger in “On the Waterfront”.

7. Jonny5 - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM

As Boras is walking away from Johnny in early January, ready to go out the Door…….
    Johnny catches his sleeve, “But Scott, what about my contract issues with the Yankees?”
    As Scott smugly answers “Frankly Johnny ,I don’t give a damn!” As johnny sheds a tear of dispair and Scott runs to the open arms of one Mr. Holliday………
    I almost feel choked up about it myself….. sniff sniff…

8. airedale - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Trouble here is Detroit in the summer will make the ‘Waterfront” look like a church picnic!

9. Johnny Demon - Feb 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM

As a Red Sox fan, I can only sit back and enjoy the show. It’s nice to see greed lose once in a while….

10. Osmodious - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM

If given a choice of inflicting the steroid mess or Scott Boras on this wondrous game, I’d take the steroids every time. Somebody somewhere should do an analysis of the players (and teams, for that matter) that have been screwed because of their association with Boras…I’m not talking about money, they tend to do ok there, for the most part. But some guys really could have been part of something, or could have been the thing that pushed some teams to achievement.
    Now that I think about it, I’d be curious to see how many careers the Yankees have ruined as well (Ricky Ledee)…guys who came up with them, or were traded out of their farm system, who wound up falling by the wayside because they couldn’t handle not being Yankees anymore (Like Ledee…who actually kept a Yankee jersey in his locker after being traded).

11. Michael B Pasternack - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM

The “on the Waterfront” bit was perfect. Karl Mauldin as Scott” the fixer” Boras and poor Johnny D saying ” You were supposed to watch out for me. I could have been a contender! Now I’m just a bum”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5108)