Feb 1, 2010, 1:42 PM EDT
Non-tendered by the Giants in December when he would have been in line for about $2 million via arbitration, Ryan Garko has signed a one-year deal with the Mariners worth $550,000 and another $525,000 in potential incentives.
Garko isn’t much of a defender and his bat is mediocre against right-handers, but he crushes left-handers and makes for a nice platoon partner for Casey Kotchman. Garko’s hit .313/.392/.495 versus lefties in his career compared to .277/.334/.378 for Kotchman, and he’s certainly decent enough versus righties to be a full-time option if needed.
By adding Garko (and fellow platoon bat Eric Byrnes) the Mariners seem quite a bit more likely to enter the season with only 11 pitchers, although the fact that an 11-man pitching now qualifies as “only” is very disturbing to me. There’s no real need for seven relievers anyway, so adding Garko to boost the lineup versus lefties makes plenty of sense and the price is certainly right. Another shrewd, low-cost pickup for Seattle.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)