Feb 1, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Not player nicknames — everyone knows “Death to Flying Things” wins that hands down — but team nicknames. The Hardball Times’ Chris Jaffe runs them down in order of coolness-to-lameness. He likes the Mariners best — it’s unique, it’s region-appropriate — and he hates the Sox, both Red and White.
I agree with his take on the Mariners, but I think he’s got the Rockies way too high — I’ve always hated that name — and he’s really hating on the Padres (22) Mets (23) and Reds (25) way too much. Those are solid baseball nicknames, way better than some simple animal mascot. The Braves and Indians are near the bottom too. For my part the logos and iconography involved are worse than the names themselves, but I’ll sidestep the political debate for today.
By the way, Jaffe doesn’t just write articles about team nicknames. In fact, he just published what will soon be considered the definitive book about baseball managers if it’s not considered that already. It’s appropriately titled Evaluating Baseball Managers, and can be ordered here. I got my copy a week ago. I’ll have a more thorough review when I’m done with it, but allow me to say now that I can’t put it down. It’s one of those books every serious baseball fan should have.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)