Reyes runs without pain, is 'ready to play baseball'

Feb 1, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT

Jose Reyes is back, and he wants Mets fans to know he’s healthy and ready for spring training. From MLB.com:

Reyes took a significant step (to returning to action) Monday, running five 90-foot sprints and subsequently declaring himself ready for Spring Training.

“That’s how I do it,” Reyes told SNY. “I’m ready to play baseball.”

Well that was easy. I guess the Mets are going to the World Series in 2010. In related news, Oliver Perez managed to throw five pitches without any of them going over the backstop, and also declared himself ready to go.

Kidding aside, it’s good to see someone at least trying to show a little optimism regarding the Metropolitans. I’m not even a Mets fan and I find the whole thing depressing.

Clearly, Reyes is a big key for the Mets, and who knows, maybe if they can stay healthy they’ll be competitive. Of course that will just give Omar Minaya job security, so I guess every silver lining has a cloud, or something.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your CTB updates here.

1. My Poor Mets - Feb 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM

OK, laugh all you want at the Mets, it is better than crying. The Mets are old and it shows, but last year when the Mets were healthy, they were in first place in mid-May, then everyone, their brother and sister got injured. It started with Carlos Delgado, then went down hill from there. Let’s assume the Mets have half the injuries they had last year, hopefully, they will play a little better than last year, maybe .500 at best. If they set another MLB record for player days on the DL, then look out Nats, last place is ours.

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM

[Fill in the blank] is in the best shape of his life and is 100% ready to go.
    This is a recording.

3. AJ Gallo - Feb 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Reyes says he’s good to go. Unfortunately for the Mets, that only means he’s good to go until something on the team pisses him off and then he’ll be hurt and can’t play again. That’s been his M.O.

4. Joe - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Some of you idiots need to get your facts straight before posting.
    Before last year, Reyes played in 159, 160, 153 and 161 games.
    That is an average of 158 out of 162 games. Those that criticize Reyes obviously don’t know what they are talking about.

5. Charles Gates - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Reyes cleared to play by the Mets medical staff? Oh boy…

6. BC - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Glad my Mets’ crack (or is that cracked?) medical staff is on top of things. Over/under on Games Played by Reyes in 2010: 55-1/2.

7. Dan - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Reyes is in pain and is going to miss opening day.

8. AJ Gallo - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Those idiots who conveniently leave out stats in order to attempt to prove their point seem to have forgotten 2003 when he played in only 69 games and 2004 when he played in only 53 games.

9. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I will pray for you and the Mets. Good Luck this year, It really was bad luck with the injuries, the bad thing is Phillies got better
    too.I would say break a leg but……….

10. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

who is your team, Baltimore.

11. Omega in Colorado - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Being a long time Cubs fan, I feel for the Mets fans out there. If you don’t learn to laugh at yourself and your team, all you gonna do is cry, and “There’s no crying in baseball!”
    That being said, and after reading the Putz quotes yesterdays, is Reyes really healthy and running with no pain, or did maanagement and the medical staff tell him he is healthy and running with no pain?
    Who else is about ready to scream with excitement with Pitchers & Catchers reporting in less than two weeks?! wooooooooooooooo!

12. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM

that is bull sheet!!!

13. Joe - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM

2003??? That was 7 years ago. From 2005-2008 he averaged 158 games.
    I think that is more of a reflection of Reyes than last year when idiotic Mets mis-diagnosed his injury.
    He will turn 27 this season, and I would think any team would like to have Reyes.

14. AJ Gallo - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Re-read my post. I said nothing about Reyes’ play last year. That’s your spin. I said, Reyes has had, IN HIS PAST, “injuries” that prevented him from playing when he got pissed off about something. Nowhere is there anything to the effect that Reyes isn’t a good player.

15. Joe - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM

You said his MO has been “until something on the team pisses him off and then he’ll be hurt and can’t play again.”
    Not sure what that even means. Jose Reyes is the least of the Mets problems.
    Please provide an example of when he got pissed and had an “injury”. Was it the 3 games he missed in 2008? The 2 games he missed in 2007? The 1 game he missed in 2005?
    His first 2 years in the majors, he had leg problems, it had nothing to do with him being pissed about something.
    All I am saying is get your facts straight besides making ignorant comments.

16. Cortaflex - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Yup, couldn’t agree more. And I’d like to add that you’ve got a great colour scheme on your site, I suffer with colour blindness and many webmasters don’t give us a second thought!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3306)