The guy who canceled his Yankees season tickets speaks

Feb 1, 2010, 6:06 PM EST

You recall on Friday we linked to an angry email sent by a Yankees fan, canceling his season tickets because he thought the team had “lost its focus on winning” this offseason.  Today he speaks, courtesy of an interview with the New Stadium Insider.

For what it’s worth he comes off far more lucid and educated here than he did in that email, which he says was a quick and unedited thing he sent from his iPhone while on the subway.  Fair enough as far as that goes, but the fact that he still seems to think that the team isn’t committed to winning in 2010 and that he’s still canceling his ticket package doesn’t change the fact that, as a fan, the guy has some abnormally high standards.

1. YankeesfanLen - Feb 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM

See how easy-going I am? I let them lose 59 regular season games last year with nary a complaint…..other than Girardi’s use of pitchers, letting Johnny Damon go, their usual slow starting before the All Star break, etc. etc.

2. Walter Bishop - Feb 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I wonder what this supposed ex-yankee fan will do next year, once the Yankees spend another half a Billion dollars in the 2011 off-season on Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford and maybe even Joe Mauer. Let’s see this same guy come crawling back, but, I don’t think the Yankees should let him in the Stadium after his big mouth this off-season.

3. scot - Feb 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Typical Yankee fan spoiled and not appreciative of all the success the Yankees have achieved. And no Joe Mauer will never wear a Yankee uniform.

4. Lee Presnell - Feb 2, 2010 at 3:12 AM

I feel for the poor guy who got to see the best team in baseball win it all. I don’t know what he expects. WSC is as high as it goes. I would like to have kept those that got away because they have been there thru thick and thin. But what it comes down to is playing the games and I think this gang they have this year will do just fine. Oh and if he doesn’t want his tickets this year he can give them to me and I will return them next year, no cost.

5. airedale - Feb 2, 2010 at 4:08 AM

Let me guess…you are a twin’s fan?

6. Chris Simonds - Feb 2, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Somebody should have done him a favor and mugged him for that iPhone. Or don’t they mug people on the subway in NYC anymore? I haven’t seen a moral outrage story about NYC subway crime in years. Maybe Michael Bloomberg is as wonderful as he says he is….

7. Wooden. U. Lykteneau - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:38 AM

The last two seasons I had the 12-13 game packages, the final season the seats were in the left field bleachers and this year my seats were in 306, in right field.

While it’s more than I initially predicted, methinks the Yankees will find a way to replace that $576 they’re not getting from this “fan.”

8. YANKEES1996 - Feb 2, 2010 at 9:18 AM

The guy seems to be ranting about a whole lot of nothing quite honestly, and giving up his season tickets is ridiculous. I don’t quite understand all the moves the Yankees made this off season either but I’m not prepared to give up my tickets and write the season off.
    The Yankees made no secret of the fact that they had a budget this year and they were looking to get only what they felt they needed and nothing more. I want to see the Yanks win it all again in 2010 also but right now relax and lets see how things go in the first half. Afterall, there is always the trading deadline.

9. ecp - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

There are lots of us out here who aren’t Twins fans who feel exactly the same way. Joe Mauer belongs in Minnesota; and more power to them when they get him inked. It will happen.

10. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM

There’s good info here. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog. Keep up the good work mate!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4418)