Feb 2, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Yesterday Rob Neyer wondered whether the Mariners — who have had what most agree to be the most successful offseason of anyone — have added too many good players:
I’m wondering if maybe it’s time for Jack Zduriencik to call off his little off-season shopping spree.
Sure, he’s picked up Cliff Lee and Chone Figgins and Eric Byrnes and now Ryan Garko on the cheap. But for the life of me I can’t figure
out where everyone’s going to play. I mean, I think I wrote about the
Mariners’ roster logjam before Byrnes and Garko came aboard.
Rob admits that too many good players may be a good problem to have, but he’s concerned that there won’t be enough playing time for them all, especially if the team feels obligated to give an ineffective Ken Griffey his plate appearances.
In that case he had better not read Jon Paul Morosi’s tweets relaying that the Mariners may still try to bring in Orlando Hudson.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)