Are the Mariners still trying to sign people?

Feb 2, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT

Yesterday Rob Neyer wondered whether the Mariners — who have had what most agree to be the most successful offseason of anyone — have added too many good players:

I’m wondering if maybe it’s time for Jack Zduriencik to call off his little off-season shopping spree.

Sure, he’s picked up Cliff Lee and Chone Figgins and Eric Byrnes and now Ryan Garko on the cheap. But for the life of me I can’t figure
out where everyone’s going to play. I mean, I think I wrote about the
Mariners’ roster logjam before Byrnes and Garko came aboard.

Rob admits that too many good players may be a good problem to have, but he’s concerned that there won’t be enough playing time for them all, especially if the team feels obligated to give an ineffective Ken Griffey his plate appearances.

In that case he had better not read Jon Paul Morosi’s tweets relaying that the Mariners may still try to bring in Orlando Hudson.

Mercy.

1. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM

One day Trader Jack can walk on water the next he is a too good…..
    remember opinions are like used toilet paper, you flush it after you use it………
    six more weeks, r u craZy ……….. Spring is in the air, start packing up ya stuff fellas and get ready to play ball.

2. themarksmith - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Granted, if they get Hudson, they’ll probably move Lopez to someone for some absurdly one-sided deal. Let’s see, who do the Twins, Cardinals, Royals, and Mets want to give up?

3. ecp - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Neyer is stretching the truth a bit to state that all of these guys are “good” players; some are barely adequate (see Byrnes).
    Zduriencik is just throwing a bunch of guys against the wall to see who sticks. It can be a workable approach under the right circumstances.

4. ecp - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Yeah, they’d try to move Lopez, but of the teams mentioned only the Twins and maybe the Cardinals have a second base need. Although the Mets would gladly dump Castillo to accommodate Lopez, if only they could.

5. Union - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM

With all this Mr. Z is a god talk, I see the Mariners ripe for a disappointing year. I mean come on, since when is having Bradley on your team a good thing. Throw in Byrnes and I’m shocked people are not saying the opposite of him. Yes, he did get Lee for almost nothing, but I would almost put that all on the Phillies.

6. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

The Mets have been trying to Dump Castillo, Omar had his eye on Orlando Hudson for a few years now.
    Trader Jack has done a wonderful job but the AL West will
    be a very good division this year, I think.

7. Michael - Feb 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I think Z is being immensely clever: He knew that one weakness last year was bench depth, so now he’s forcing Wakamatsu to field only 11 pitchers.
    And he’s doing it in the nicest way possible: by signing a ton of position players that Wak would be loathe to let go.
    This also makes Griffey (sorry fellow ’90′s folks) redundant after this year – subtle pressure on the team to suggest it’s his last hurrah so enjoy it.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto