Feb 2, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Yesterday the A’s traded Aaron Miles and a player to be named later or cash to the Reds for Adam Rosales and Willy Taveras, only to designate Taveras for assignment approximately three minutes later.
While confusing at first glance, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the end result for the A’s is paying $1.3 million for Rosales (and that number can drop to $900,000 if Taveras lands on another big-league roster). So, the obvious question becomes whether or not acquiring Rosales is worth that money.
He hit just .213 in his first taste of the majors last season and at 27 years old isn’t bringing much upside to the table, but Rosales has hit .299/.353/.490 in 147 games at Triple-A and has experience at all four infield positions. He projects as merely a utility man and probably wouldn’t get $1.3 million as a free agent, but the key for Oakland is that he’s not a free agent.
In fact, Rosales hasn’t even accumulated one season of major-league service time yet, so he’ll be making the minimum salary for three more years. If you spread that $1.3 million out over those three seasons and tack on the $400,000 minimum salary, that means the A’s essentially traded for the right to pay Rosales about $800,000 per year for 2010-2012 and then retain his rights for arbitration eligibility after that.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 0
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 178
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 138
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (138)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)