Feb 2, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Yesterday the A’s traded Aaron Miles and a player to be named later or cash to the Reds for Adam Rosales and Willy Taveras, only to designate Taveras for assignment approximately three minutes later.
While confusing at first glance, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the end result for the A’s is paying $1.3 million for Rosales (and that number can drop to $900,000 if Taveras lands on another big-league roster). So, the obvious question becomes whether or not acquiring Rosales is worth that money.
He hit just .213 in his first taste of the majors last season and at 27 years old isn’t bringing much upside to the table, but Rosales has hit .299/.353/.490 in 147 games at Triple-A and has experience at all four infield positions. He projects as merely a utility man and probably wouldn’t get $1.3 million as a free agent, but the key for Oakland is that he’s not a free agent.
In fact, Rosales hasn’t even accumulated one season of major-league service time yet, so he’ll be making the minimum salary for three more years. If you spread that $1.3 million out over those three seasons and tack on the $400,000 minimum salary, that means the A’s essentially traded for the right to pay Rosales about $800,000 per year for 2010-2012 and then retain his rights for arbitration eligibility after that.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)