Feb 2, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Yesterday the A’s traded Aaron Miles and a player to be named later or cash to the Reds for Adam Rosales and Willy Taveras, only to designate Taveras for assignment approximately three minutes later.
While confusing at first glance, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the end result for the A’s is paying $1.3 million for Rosales (and that number can drop to $900,000 if Taveras lands on another big-league roster). So, the obvious question becomes whether or not acquiring Rosales is worth that money.
He hit just .213 in his first taste of the majors last season and at 27 years old isn’t bringing much upside to the table, but Rosales has hit .299/.353/.490 in 147 games at Triple-A and has experience at all four infield positions. He projects as merely a utility man and probably wouldn’t get $1.3 million as a free agent, but the key for Oakland is that he’s not a free agent.
In fact, Rosales hasn’t even accumulated one season of major-league service time yet, so he’ll be making the minimum salary for three more years. If you spread that $1.3 million out over those three seasons and tack on the $400,000 minimum salary, that means the A’s essentially traded for the right to pay Rosales about $800,000 per year for 2010-2012 and then retain his rights for arbitration eligibility after that.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)