Feb 2, 2010, 3:50 PM EST
Yesterday the A’s traded Aaron Miles and a player to be named later or cash to the Reds for Adam Rosales and Willy Taveras, only to designate Taveras for assignment approximately three minutes later.
While confusing at first glance, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the end result for the A’s is paying $1.3 million for Rosales (and that number can drop to $900,000 if Taveras lands on another big-league roster). So, the obvious question becomes whether or not acquiring Rosales is worth that money.
He hit just .213 in his first taste of the majors last season and at 27 years old isn’t bringing much upside to the table, but Rosales has hit .299/.353/.490 in 147 games at Triple-A and has experience at all four infield positions. He projects as merely a utility man and probably wouldn’t get $1.3 million as a free agent, but the key for Oakland is that he’s not a free agent.
In fact, Rosales hasn’t even accumulated one season of major-league service time yet, so he’ll be making the minimum salary for three more years. If you spread that $1.3 million out over those three seasons and tack on the $400,000 minimum salary, that means the A’s essentially traded for the right to pay Rosales about $800,000 per year for 2010-2012 and then retain his rights for arbitration eligibility after that.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)