Feb 2, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Yesterday the A’s traded Aaron Miles and a player to be named later or cash to the Reds for Adam Rosales and Willy Taveras, only to designate Taveras for assignment approximately three minutes later.
While confusing at first glance, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the end result for the A’s is paying $1.3 million for Rosales (and that number can drop to $900,000 if Taveras lands on another big-league roster). So, the obvious question becomes whether or not acquiring Rosales is worth that money.
He hit just .213 in his first taste of the majors last season and at 27 years old isn’t bringing much upside to the table, but Rosales has hit .299/.353/.490 in 147 games at Triple-A and has experience at all four infield positions. He projects as merely a utility man and probably wouldn’t get $1.3 million as a free agent, but the key for Oakland is that he’s not a free agent.
In fact, Rosales hasn’t even accumulated one season of major-league service time yet, so he’ll be making the minimum salary for three more years. If you spread that $1.3 million out over those three seasons and tack on the $400,000 minimum salary, that means the A’s essentially traded for the right to pay Rosales about $800,000 per year for 2010-2012 and then retain his rights for arbitration eligibility after that.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)