Bill Buckner: comedian

Feb 2, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT

Reading this, you get the sense that Bill Buckner is tired of telling the same damn story for past 23 years and tries to jazz it up. Here he is at a banquet the other night talking about Game 6:

“My first thought when it happened was, ‘Wow, I get to play in a
seventh game of a World Series. How cool is that? And my other thought
was how bad the people in Chicago must feel, Boston being here and
their team not.”

Of course he was speaking in Chicago, so he had to make it local.

1. Phil - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I know it’s popular to make Billy Bucks the goat of that game, but Schraldi had a 2-run lead with 2 outs and 2 strikes on Gary Carter and gave up three straight hits. Stanley relieved when the Red Sox still had a 1-run lead and the same two out and promptly uncorked one to the backstop to let the tying run score. Buckner should have never even been in the position to be called the goat.

2. Sven-Erik - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Well said Phil, I was watching excerpts of that game on the Ken Burns Baseball documentary just a few days ago and I was thinking the same thing.
    When the floodgates open, anything can happen. One can always say if, if, if, but I’m with you, he was just the last of a whole slew of failures on the part of the Red Sox that night. I remember watching that game in Chicago with some friends like it was yesterday.
    We were really pulling for the Sox, but oh well. they got their win in the end.
    Now if my Cubs can just break through the preasure of 101 years of failures, that would be great. That curse stuff is a load of crap, it’s preasure being put on them that’s the problem.

3. YANKEES1996 - Feb 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Bill Buckner : COMEDIAN, His defense was pretty damn funny!

4. Phil - Feb 2, 2010 at 2:22 PM

The real goat that night was the winner of the 1986 Counted My Chickens Before They Hatched Award , Red Sox manager John McNamara. He has said he wanted Buckner to be on the field when they won, but I suspect he’ll always wish he had let Billy watch from the bench and had put Dave Stapleton in as a defensive replacement. And none of that addresses why he left Schraldi in to face two more batters after Carter.

5. Old Gator - Feb 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Buddha cause his peace to settle upon you, Bill. I was sitting not fifty feet behind you when that ball went through your legs. I thought it was funny then. What took you 24 more years to find it funny yourself?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3407)