Feb 2, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
Reed Johnson and the Dodgers have officially agreed to a one-year deal worth $800,000 plus another $250,000 in potential incentives.
Between a part-time role and fractured foot Johnson played just 65 games for the Cubs last season, hitting .255/.330/.412 to basically match his .282/.344/.411 career mark. That production and the ability to handle all three outfield spots defensively makes Johnson a very solid fourth outfielder, but he’d also make a strong platoon starter if the Dodgers are willing to bench Andre Ethier against lefties.
Ethier has hit just .252/.317/.382 against southpaws during his career, including .194 last season, whereas Johnson is a lifetime .313/.378/.463 hitter against lefties. Johnson is a good low-cost pickup for the Dodgers even if they merely use him to fill in for injured outfielders, play defense for Manny Ramirez late in games, and scare young children with his facial hair, but actually giving him a chance to start over Ethier versus lefties would make the move even better.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)