Feb 2, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
San Francisco’s mediocre middle relief stockpile continues…
http://bases.nbcsports.com/mota%20dealing.JPG” class=”mt-image-right” style=”float: right; margin: 0pt 0pt 20px 20px;” width=”145″ height=”209″ />
The Giants agreed to terms Tuesday on a minor league contract with reliever Guillermo Mota, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. GM Brian Sabean and Co. have now inked three unimpressive relievers to minor league contracts within the past 48 hours. (See also: Byung-Hyun Kim and Horacio Ramirez).
Mota, 36, posted a respectable 3.44 ERA and 1.18 WHIP last season in 65 1/3 innings of work for the Dodgers. He has almost always had control problems and has lost some substantial zip on his once high-90s fastball. But, as Baggarly notes, there is a best-case scenario:
If he makes the club and has a similar year for the Giants, he’d be an
able replacement for Bob Howry, who signed with the Diamondbacks.
Mota’s deal includes an invitation to spring training, where he’s likely to earn a spot in middle relief.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)