Feb 2, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
San Francisco’s mediocre middle relief stockpile continues…
http://bases.nbcsports.com/mota%20dealing.JPG” class=”mt-image-right” style=”float: right; margin: 0pt 0pt 20px 20px;” width=”145″ height=”209″ />
The Giants agreed to terms Tuesday on a minor league contract with reliever Guillermo Mota, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. GM Brian Sabean and Co. have now inked three unimpressive relievers to minor league contracts within the past 48 hours. (See also: Byung-Hyun Kim and Horacio Ramirez).
Mota, 36, posted a respectable 3.44 ERA and 1.18 WHIP last season in 65 1/3 innings of work for the Dodgers. He has almost always had control problems and has lost some substantial zip on his once high-90s fastball. But, as Baggarly notes, there is a best-case scenario:
If he makes the club and has a similar year for the Giants, he’d be an
able replacement for Bob Howry, who signed with the Diamondbacks.
Mota’s deal includes an invitation to spring training, where he’s likely to earn a spot in middle relief.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)