Feb 2, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
San Francisco’s mediocre middle relief stockpile continues…
http://bases.nbcsports.com/mota%20dealing.JPG” class=”mt-image-right” style=”float: right; margin: 0pt 0pt 20px 20px;” width=”145″ height=”209″ />
The Giants agreed to terms Tuesday on a minor league contract with reliever Guillermo Mota, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. GM Brian Sabean and Co. have now inked three unimpressive relievers to minor league contracts within the past 48 hours. (See also: Byung-Hyun Kim and Horacio Ramirez).
Mota, 36, posted a respectable 3.44 ERA and 1.18 WHIP last season in 65 1/3 innings of work for the Dodgers. He has almost always had control problems and has lost some substantial zip on his once high-90s fastball. But, as Baggarly notes, there is a best-case scenario:
If he makes the club and has a similar year for the Giants, he’d be an
able replacement for Bob Howry, who signed with the Diamondbacks.
Mota’s deal includes an invitation to spring training, where he’s likely to earn a spot in middle relief.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)