Giants likely headed to hearing with Lincecum

Feb 2, 2010, 8:24 PM EDT

lincecum<br />
wave.JPG” src=”http://bases.nbcsports.com/lincecum%20wave.JPG” class=”mt-image-right” style=”float: right; margin: 0pt 0pt 20px 20px;” width=”172″ height=”312″ /></a>Tim Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, told <a href=Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News Tuesday that the Giants have not engaged him in significant contract negotiations and an arbitration hearing will almost certainly be necessary to decide the right-hander’s 2010 salary.

“I think that’s the direction (a hearing) they’ve wanted this go from
Day One,” said Thurman, “simply because there’s been little or no discussions with
regards to a contract. … We prepared this case from Day One to go (to a hearing), and that still
appears to be the case.”

Lincecum requested $13 million and was offered $8 million from the Giants when arbitration figures were exchanged two weeks ago.  CTB’s own Craig Calcaterra called the club’s proposal  a “lowball offer” back when the news first broke and it still seems like quite a small sum for a 25-year-old kid who is 40-17 with a 2.90 ERA and 1.15 WHIP over his first 90 major league starts.  The Giants’ bid looks especially stingy when you consider the opinion of a respected reporter like Yahoo’s Tim Brown, who suggested in late November that Lincecum might be justified in requesting a sum close to $23 million.

Teams almost always win arbitration hearings, but our bet is on the San Francisco ace this time around.

1. sd10375 - Feb 2, 2010 at 9:12 PM

My respect for the Giants organization has gone one step lower. They have completely taken Tim Lincecum for granted. What a joke of an organization!

2. BlastingDaMan - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I agree with you sd10375. Eight million for what that boy has done for that team is an insult. He should take whatever he gets in arbitration and then let that be his last year in SF…

3. Giant Mistake - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Yes, he is worth less than half of what Zito make or 2/3 of what Rowand makes. That logic is why the Giants have not won a World Series since “I Love Lucy” was big.

4. Old Gator - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM

After years of watching the Prince of Tightwads bleed the Feesh into the sand, I’m knda hoping Lincecum takes these ungrateful bastards to the cleaner’s. If I were a Mariners fan, I’d be studying the calendar and licking my chops.

5. chopper - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Once bitten twice shy. The Giants are low-balling Tim for a reason. Their ass is still simmering and sore from the Zito sodomizing.
    Phone Booth Ball Park and bow-tie Nuke Em will turn thatplace into the next Mission Bay Driving Range.

6. CHA CHA - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:03 AM

“SF MGT GAME-PLAYING”…THATS WHY “PENNY-PINCHING PITCHERS” SF GIANTS (S/B RENAMED “MIDGETS”)WILL SUCK MORE IN 2010! TIM SHOULD UP HIS ASKING PRICE NOW 2 $20-25 MILL RANGE 4 “SABEAN’HEAD” 2 PONDER. THIS IS AN INSULT N POOR “PR MOVE” 2 TIM, THE TEAM/FRANCHISE (WAKE-UP FRONT OFFICE DA’AH…TIM IS THE FRANCHISE NOT 2-BARRYS OR PANDA?!)N A BIGGER INSULT 2 ITS FANS N THE SF/BAY AREA BASEBALL COMMUNITY…EVEN PETE “TIGHT-ASS” MCGOWAN WOULDNTA TRIED 2 PULL THIS CRAP ON A PITCHER OF TIM’S CALIBER N ITS FANS!!! HE’LL PROBABLY TAKE A 1 YR DEAL N THEN GO BYE BYE N PLAY 4 LA, STL, BOSOX OR NYY NEXT YEAR W/WAY BIGGER MONEY/CONTRACT!!! FANS SHOULD CALL 4 DUMMMY SABEAN’HEAD RESIGNATION IF NOT FIRED N SHOULD BOYCOTT GAMES!!!

7. The dude - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:14 AM

you guys are dumb. The only reason the giants are doing this is because the Lincicum group requires a 1 year contract year to year. If the giant continue in arbitration they hold his rights for the next 4 years….That means..yes folks, this will happen next year and the year after untill he they sign him to a 4-5 year contract. It’s a time thing people, figure it out….If they avoid arbitration he will be a free agent next year. this way he will be in SF for the next 7 years..

8. Ralph - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:24 AM

It seems to be the consensus that lincecum is a great pitcher and
    i might have to go along with that. However since when does a pitcher who has pitched in only 90 games command such a big
    contract. If i was him and his agent i would be happy to get the
    8 million after only 90 games. I believe that is more than enough
    for right now until he gets a few more games under his belt and more wins. It’s unbelivable how greedy sports players and agents
    are. Who suffers are the fans who want to go to the parks to watch
    their team play and it’s getting too expensive to go. I think
    baseball is a fantastic game and i would really hate to see the teams out price themselves for the normal family man who wants to
    take his family to a game. I guess what Michael Douglas said in the movie WALL STREET must be true…..GREED IS GOOD.

9. Jonny5 - Feb 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I can’t blame Timmy myself. He’s always been a stellar pitcher who was overlooked for a few years do to his build, and teams not wanting to take a chance on him breaking down, he’s not built like a star pitcher normally is. But if I were Timmy I’d be wondering exactly how long my career would be do to my own size and build. I’d be trying to draw as much money now as I can, just in case the scouts were correct in they thought his career would be short lived. Go for the gusto Timmy. PS Spark one up right after the hearing!!! LOL!!

10. eaglealan64 - Feb 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM

$8 mill is about what I thought they would go and I reckon they have a reasonable chance of winning it, there are so few comparables for this situation. Lincecum’s demand isn’t outrageous so he’s given himself a good chance of winning.

11. GBSimons - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM

“If they avoid arbitration he will be a free agent next year.”
    What are you talking about? He’ll be arbitration-eligible, and under team control, until he’s compiled six years of MLB service time.

12. GBSimons - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Lincecum’s contract will have minimal, if any, impact on ticket prices. Teams charge what the market will bear for tickets. It’s simple supply and demand.

13. YX - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Um…. what are you talking about?
    One year deal has no effect on arbitration status whatsoever

14. Taylor - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Can anyone think of an example(s) of an arbitration hearing that became so bitter that it eventually led directly to the team and player parting ways shortly after???

15. RICKGPR - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I think Lincecum’s 13M request was very reasonable! Winning two Cy Young’s is quite an achievement! San Francisco better get ready to cough up some major bucks!!

16. StickR - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Sabean should resign immediately like right now or Nuekom should fire him before this gets any uglier!!!This is the man that fired Barry Bonds so he couldn’t reach 800 home runs. Fired Pedro Feliz after having a Gold Glove season with 20 home runs. Oh, I forgot Feliz didn’t get the Gold Glove because his GM didn’t have anything good to say about him. Fired Bengie Molina after 20 home runs and leading all NL catchers in fielding…but Bengie came back out of loyalty to the team inspite of Sabean’s comments. Now he wants to lowball Tim, the best pitcher in baseball, with a one year contract after signing Zito for 7 god awful years!!! The 30-43 wimp Zito will get 18.5 million to lose some more in 2010. Not to mention the obscenity in centerfield !

17. CHA CHA - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM

KUDO’S “STICKR” N DOWN W/DA’DUMB “DUDE”!…AS THE LATE OLE “PETE’E FRANKLIN (SORELY MISSED,HE WAS DA’BEST SF GIANTS/BASEBALL KNBR SPORTS TALK HOST)WOULD SAY THEN N NOW: “ALL THE FANS/WE WANT IS FOR THE SFGINATS TO WIN US ONE…JUST ONE FRICKEN WORLD SERIES” DONT SOUND LIKME ITS GOING 2 HAPPEN SO “JUST FLUSH ALL DA’BUMS’(GM & OWNER, NOT DA’FANS)ALL DOWN THE TOILET/FLUSHER”!!! CAN SOMEONE PLS PULL-UP/FIND PETE’S OLD “SOUND-BITE” TO POST OR PLAY ON KNBR OR HERE???
    THO OLE PETE’E & I HATE THE LA DODGERS, LOOKS LIKE THEY’LL “CAKE WALK THE WEST DIV IN 2010!

18. sem - Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I can’t read any of CHA CHA’s comments. My head just explodes. Maybe it’s the capitalization that just makes it too difficult to get through a sentence, or maybe it’s something else. Please don’t type like that any further if you want people to read what you wrote or care what you say.
    Anyway, sorry for being off topic.
    Back on topic: Lincecum deserves much more than 8million. In fact, I think the 13mil request is reasonable. In fact, other teams that need pitching would beg to pay 13mil for Tim. The Mets would probably pay 20mil a year for him. Personally, I hope he hits the Free Agent market or that the Giants trade him before that to get some value.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5587)