Mauer and Twins still talking despite yesterday's report of a done deal

Feb 2, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT

The latest news on Joe Mauer is that there really isn’t any news.
Mark Rosen of WCCO television in Minnesota reported yesterday afternoon that Mauer and the Twins had agreed to a 10-year contract extension, which naturally got Twins fans incredibly excited. Unfortunately it turns out that Rosen’s report seems to be somewhere between premature and off base.
While the consensus is that Mauer and the Twins will eventually get a long-term extension completed before Opening Day, everyone involved has denied that a deal of any kind–let alone a 10-year contract–is already in place. In fairness to Rosen he’s been a prominent figure in the Twin Cities media for nearly 40 years and is definitely well-respected, so it’s possible that he merely jumped the gun on his report and the two sides are now playing cover up.
However, in the meantime nearly every major local and national media outlet has contradicted his report. This afternoon Peter Gammons wrote that the “Mauer contract is far from done and could be quite some time before it’s completed” while Bob Nightengale of USA Today revealed that “Mauer laughed at reports that he agreed to a 10-year contract” and said there was “no truth” to it.
As a Twins fan I’m certainly hoping that Rosen is right about Mauer agreeing to a long-term deal, but as a baseball writer I also can’t help but wonder how different the media’s reaction to his report would’ve been if he were a blogger instead of a TV sports anchor. My guess? Mauer and the Twins will finalize a deal by Opening Day, but it will come significantly later than Rosen claimed and the contract won’t be for 10 years.

1. Evan - Feb 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I REALLY hope that it is not a 10 year deal. 6-8 is what I am hoping for.

2. BC - Feb 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM

7 years, $140 mil would be my guess. Unless they shorten the term and up the money.

3. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I hope he realizes what a HUGE mistake he is making and Sgns with the Yankees where he will win multiple championships, what can the Twins offer him, a short drive home.Derek will get married soon and he can have so much booty he will have to join Tiger in sex rehab.

4. Kent Hrbek's Illegitimate Son - Feb 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Luckily Joe Mauer has more class than most other ballplayers.
    I’m not sure where, in his list of pros and cons, getting “so much booty” falls; though I imagine he doesn’t have a tough time in MN or FL, where he splits time.
    Bottom line: he’ll stay in Minnesota, forever.
    Yankees and Red Sox fans, keep dreaming. This is one player you’ll never get.

5. Adam - Feb 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Why in the world would Mauer talk to Bob Nightengale of all people? I’m supposed to believe him over Mark Rosen who lives in MN and has worked for wcco (the cbs affiliate) for years? I was listening to the radio and heard what he said. He didn’t say the deal is done. He said Mauer has agreed, in principle, to a 10 year deal. He was very clear when he said that this isn’t done and won’t be announced anytime soon because there are incentives and other things to work out. Not only that, but he double and triple checked his information to make sure this was legit. I’m gonna take his word over anyone else’s.

6. YANKEES1996 - Feb 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I would guess 6 years / $120 million from the Twins, if he signs good for him. I don’t think he will however, he wants to win a World Series and his best chance to do that is in pinstripes!

7. Luke - Feb 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM

YANKEES1996- In case you missed it he already wears pinstripes… The Twins wear pinstripes on most of their home uni’s.

8. Realist - Feb 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hrbek Jr., unfortunately for you it wont matter that the Yanks dont get Mauer, they will just sign Mcann or whatever other superstar hits FA in the next 2 to 3 years and will make the playoffs 90% of the time with their $200MM payroll. Mauer will watch a lot of Octobers from the croutched position of his living room sofa.

9. YANKEES1996 - Feb 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Luke – You know the “Pinstripes” I’m talking about, and it is not the Twins home uniform. Come on man!

10. Ben - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

7 yrs/$180 mil.

11. Nora - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Yeah we have seen recently that Yankees have won multiple championships. Yanks won a championship last year. Does not mean it will continue. Lolts of old players on the Yankee teaqm

12. broadcastdon - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM

all these Yankee fans give me a laugh! Guys…is there any player
    on the current Yankee roster Mauer’s age or younger. Certainly not Jeter or that A-Rod disgrace. How about Pettit? That roster does not tell me many more Series championship are on the immediate
    (during Maure’s playing days)Yankee horizon!
    re: Mark Rosen and his report..
    I agree with writer Adam and I’ll put more credence in Rosen than Nightengale. “Legacy contract” means 10 years at $20+ million per year…with incentives…
    O’C

13. TWINKIE - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

The Twins will sign Mauer and will win three world series during his tenure.

14. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Hi, good post. I look forward to your next post. Thanks, Samantha

15. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Hi, good comment. I look forward to your next topic. Thank you, Rebecca

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2980)