Feb 2, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
The latest news on Joe Mauer is that there really isn’t any news.
Mark Rosen of WCCO television in Minnesota reported yesterday afternoon that Mauer and the Twins had agreed to a 10-year contract extension, which naturally got Twins fans incredibly excited. Unfortunately it turns out that Rosen’s report seems to be somewhere between premature and off base.
While the consensus is that Mauer and the Twins will eventually get a long-term extension completed before Opening Day, everyone involved has denied that a deal of any kind–let alone a 10-year contract–is already in place. In fairness to Rosen he’s been a prominent figure in the Twin Cities media for nearly 40 years and is definitely well-respected, so it’s possible that he merely jumped the gun on his report and the two sides are now playing cover up.
However, in the meantime nearly every major local and national media outlet has contradicted his report. This afternoon Peter Gammons wrote that the “Mauer contract is far from done and could be quite some time before it’s completed” while Bob Nightengale of USA Today revealed that “Mauer laughed at reports that he agreed to a 10-year contract” and said there was “no truth” to it.
As a Twins fan I’m certainly hoping that Rosen is right about Mauer agreeing to a long-term deal, but as a baseball writer I also can’t help but wonder how different the media’s reaction to his report would’ve been if he were a blogger instead of a TV sports anchor. My guess? Mauer and the Twins will finalize a deal by Opening Day, but it will come significantly later than Rosen claimed and the contract won’t be for 10 years.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)