Feb 2, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
The latest news on Joe Mauer is that there really isn’t any news.
Mark Rosen of WCCO television in Minnesota reported yesterday afternoon that Mauer and the Twins had agreed to a 10-year contract extension, which naturally got Twins fans incredibly excited. Unfortunately it turns out that Rosen’s report seems to be somewhere between premature and off base.
While the consensus is that Mauer and the Twins will eventually get a long-term extension completed before Opening Day, everyone involved has denied that a deal of any kind–let alone a 10-year contract–is already in place. In fairness to Rosen he’s been a prominent figure in the Twin Cities media for nearly 40 years and is definitely well-respected, so it’s possible that he merely jumped the gun on his report and the two sides are now playing cover up.
However, in the meantime nearly every major local and national media outlet has contradicted his report. This afternoon Peter Gammons wrote that the “Mauer contract is far from done and could be quite some time before it’s completed” while Bob Nightengale of USA Today revealed that “Mauer laughed at reports that he agreed to a 10-year contract” and said there was “no truth” to it.
As a Twins fan I’m certainly hoping that Rosen is right about Mauer agreeing to a long-term deal, but as a baseball writer I also can’t help but wonder how different the media’s reaction to his report would’ve been if he were a blogger instead of a TV sports anchor. My guess? Mauer and the Twins will finalize a deal by Opening Day, but it will come significantly later than Rosen claimed and the contract won’t be for 10 years.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)