Feb 2, 2010, 10:42 PM EDT
Joe Mauer isn’t spending all of his time these days hammering out the details of a potentially historic new contract with the Minnesota Twins. Nope, this guy can multi-task, which is only one reason he’s so valuable.
In addition to shopping for a new, umm, everything, Mauer also took time on Tuesday to don one of those funny-looking skintight suits with the sensors all over it so his motions could be captured for the upcoming video game MLB 10 The Show.
Mauer, the cover boy for the game, which hits shelves on March 2, told the AP that wearing the suit was “uncomfortable at first, but as I started doing it more and more, it started feeling more comfortable.”
The suit he wore contained sensors at all of his flex points so cameras, shooting at 120 frames per second, could capture his motions. I’m assuming the motions captured were things like his swing, his crouch behind the plate, and perhaps his throwing motion. But if they’re smart, they also captured what Mauer looks like when signing a huge contract, counting his money, and lifting MVP awards.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 39
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 40
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)