Feb 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
We have a couple of guys that can close, [Scott] Downs, [Jason] Frasor. But we’re going to kind of throw that up in the air. And who knows? We might even be lucky enough to bring somebody else in that can help out, too. It’s going to be between those two and anybody else that [general manager] Alex Anthopoulos brings into camp.
Along those same lines Gregg’s agent said previously that the 32-year-old right-hander was looking for a place where he’d have a chance to close, so Toronto is probably the best fit.
Over the past three seasons Gregg has blown 20 saves in 104 chances while posting a 3.86 ERA with 107 walks in 221.1 innings, so he’s hardly anyone’s idea of an ideal closer. However, the same is true of Jason Frasor and Scott Downs, and if nothing else adding Gregg gives the Blue Jays another setup-caliber reliever to work into the mix.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17