Feb 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
We have a couple of guys that can close, [Scott] Downs, [Jason] Frasor. But we’re going to kind of throw that up in the air. And who knows? We might even be lucky enough to bring somebody else in that can help out, too. It’s going to be between those two and anybody else that [general manager] Alex Anthopoulos brings into camp.
Along those same lines Gregg’s agent said previously that the 32-year-old right-hander was looking for a place where he’d have a chance to close, so Toronto is probably the best fit.
Over the past three seasons Gregg has blown 20 saves in 104 chances while posting a 3.86 ERA with 107 walks in 221.1 innings, so he’s hardly anyone’s idea of an ideal closer. However, the same is true of Jason Frasor and Scott Downs, and if nothing else adding Gregg gives the Blue Jays another setup-caliber reliever to work into the mix.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20