Several teams looking at Kris Benson

Feb 2, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT

Kris Benson hasn’t pitched much recently — eight appearances last year, none in 2008 or 2007 — but his agent says he’s healthy, throwing well and expects to sign with someone in the next couple of weeks. Candidates: Diamondbacks, Cubs, Reds and Nationals.

Benson is 35 now, and has long lost the luster of being the number one overall pick way back in 1996. At his peak he was an almost exactly league average pitcher, though his strikeout rate went way the hell down in his last two full years.

To think he’d have anything left in the tank right now seems like an exercise in wishful thinking, a greater affinity for familiar names than useful ones, or both.  He may get signed soon, but if he breaks camp as a member of a Major League staff I’ll eat my hat.

1. Matt @ Fack Youk - Feb 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Several teams are also looking at Anna Benson, but for entirely different reasons.

2. okobojicat - Feb 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Which hat?

3. gumbercules - Feb 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I’d be more impressed if you ate Mike Celizic’s hat.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Probably my fitted New Era Dodgers cap. I bought it for a very specific purpose — to root for Greg Maddux when I watched him pitch in person against the Reds right after he got traded to Los Angeles a couple of years ago — so I don’t need it anymore. Also, now that the Dodgers have called me “irresponsible” I may as well send that bad boy through my intestines. It would be even more fitting, of course, if Benson signs with the Dodgers.

5. Edward Chapeau - Feb 2, 2010 at 5:54 PM

We Indians fans just hope you don’t eat Manny Acta’s lid. Particularly because you broke the story – and included a photo. We love that hat.
    That hat, most unfortunately, is the only thing we have to root for this year.
    Go Tribe (in 2022?)

6. Motherscratcher - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM

You’ll eat your het? You better hope the Indians don’t sign him. He’d step right in as our #2 starter.

7. YANKEES1996 - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Right on Matt, his wife is the only good reason to sign the guy!

Orioles turn AL East on its head