Feb 2, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
Jayson Stark is reporting that the Marlins have made an offer to Russell Branyan. It’s a major league deal with a low base and incentives. In that way it’s probably much like the $1.4 million he made in Seattle last year, where he hit 31 dingers.
Problem for him, though, is that he missed a lot of time down the stretch with a bad back, and when power is your game, a bad back is bad news. It also ended up being bad news for his market, inasmuch as he was reportedly expecting to sign a multi-year deal someplace to start at first. Given that the Marlins current first base options — Logan Morrison and Gaby Sanchez — are youngins, he may yet get to start, but it’s almost certainly going to be a one-and-done for Branyan.
Assuming he accepts the offer, that is. Which he should. Because really, I’m not sure who else would give him one at this point.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 30
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)