Feb 2, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Here’s an idea I had never considered: a “three-day mixer” called the Professional Free Agent
Showcase where unemployed baseball players work out for and scouts for teams
looking for talent. The inaugural one kicks off today and lasts through Thursday at Al Lang Field in
St. Petersburg, Fla.
It’s not for Major League free agents. According to the article it’s for “the six-year, fringe-type ballplayer.” Minor league free agents mostly, though there are a couple of guys with some big league experience like Tim Raines, Jr. and Nick Beirbrodt. It’s set up by former ballplayer Rob Ducey and former ballplayers such as Cecil Fielder and Heathcliff Slocumb are helping to run it. It costs each free agent $500 to attend, and basically works like one of those private, Ben Sheets-style private workouts, only for 20 dudes instead of one.
Kind of sounds like a meat market. Kind of sounds depressing. Then again, that describes all manner of things any of the rest of us who have ever been unemployed have had to go through, so it’s really hard to find fault.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 0
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 15
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 60
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 83
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)