Feb 2, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Since we’ll soon be swimming in season previews that have the Yankees winning 100 games, the division, the league and probably the World Series, let’s have some fun and see what would happen if absolutely everything went wrong in the Bronx. To that end, here’s Part 1 of NYaT’s “The Yankees Worst Case Scenario.” It’s a lot of this sort of thing:
Brett Gardner – What it would look like: Tony Womack II.
In 2005, the Yankees decided it would be a good idea to give an
everyday spot to a guy who was fast but couldn’t get on base to exploit
that speed. That’s the biggest fear with Gardner. The guy is never
going to hit for power but if he can get on base at a decent clip, he
can be dangerous for the Yankees. Also, if his defense isn’t as good as
the small sample size suggests, that really decreases the value of
Gardner. If he can’t play, the fans will get on him and he’ll face
“Johnny Damon” chants when he bats. That’s nothing good.
There’s one for every position player. Unlike Gardner’s, however, most of the entries involve a good player suddenly reverting to his worst season or partial season, such as Jeter returning to 2008 form and Mark Teixeira putting up a whole season in to match the beginning of 2009. This is highly unlikely to happen, of course, but it is instructive to remember that stars don’t always shine forever and, yes, one or two of these guys aren’t going to be as good in 2010 as they were in 2009.
I presume Part II will be the pitchers. Bookmark it, Orioles and Jays fans! It may be the best you feel all year!
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 13
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)