Feb 2, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Since we’ll soon be swimming in season previews that have the Yankees winning 100 games, the division, the league and probably the World Series, let’s have some fun and see what would happen if absolutely everything went wrong in the Bronx. To that end, here’s Part 1 of NYaT’s “The Yankees Worst Case Scenario.” It’s a lot of this sort of thing:
Brett Gardner – What it would look like: Tony Womack II.
In 2005, the Yankees decided it would be a good idea to give an
everyday spot to a guy who was fast but couldn’t get on base to exploit
that speed. That’s the biggest fear with Gardner. The guy is never
going to hit for power but if he can get on base at a decent clip, he
can be dangerous for the Yankees. Also, if his defense isn’t as good as
the small sample size suggests, that really decreases the value of
Gardner. If he can’t play, the fans will get on him and he’ll face
“Johnny Damon” chants when he bats. That’s nothing good.
There’s one for every position player. Unlike Gardner’s, however, most of the entries involve a good player suddenly reverting to his worst season or partial season, such as Jeter returning to 2008 form and Mark Teixeira putting up a whole season in to match the beginning of 2009. This is highly unlikely to happen, of course, but it is instructive to remember that stars don’t always shine forever and, yes, one or two of these guys aren’t going to be as good in 2010 as they were in 2009.
I presume Part II will be the pitchers. Bookmark it, Orioles and Jays fans! It may be the best you feel all year!
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)