Adam Jones sets a funny, bad example

Feb 3, 2010, 3:54 PM EDT

Orioles’ outfielder Adam Jones was being interviewed via telephone on XM Radio’s MLB Home Plate show a few minutes ago. Not just via telephone, but via cell phone, and not just via cell phone, but via cell phone while driving down the freakin’ highway.  MLB Home Plate producer Brent Gambill tweets the details:

Adam Jones pulled over by police on MLB Home Plate. He said to officer, “I’m really on interview right now. . . I have to hang up with the interview. Hold on 1, 2 seconds? Can I hang-up with you guys?”

He called back into the show a few minutes later. Turns out he was pulled over for his windows being tinted too dark.  Brent isn’t sure where Jones was calling from, but he lives in Arizona, and they don’t have a cell phone-while-driving law, so he got off lightly.

Still, bad form Jones: driving distracted kills, dude.

1. BC - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I remember the same thing happening to John Sterling (Yankees radio announcer) while he was called in to a Hartford talk show. Not smart. Bluetooth! Think Bluetooth!

2. BC - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Clarification – Sterling was pulled over for talking on his cell, not for tinted windows.

3. YX - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM

This is so not the first time someone got pulled over while being interviewed. I recall multiple people (Ed Coleman and forgot who else) done that before, and Terry Francona actually got in an accident during an interview (granted it was another car that rare-ended him).

4. NoBrainLotsofPain - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

What a dumb a$$, if he was involved in accident he probably would have walked away while most likely killing someone else! Screw the bluetooth, pull over or park if you have to talk on the damn phone!

5. Jesse Spector - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I wouldn’t rip Jones here — there’s no way to know that he had a phone in his hand. Could’ve easily been a Bluetooth. He’s not a dumb guy.

6. ecp - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I went to Arizona State and had a friend from California who got a ticket right over the Arizona border every time he drove into the state because his windows were tinted too dark. I never knew the etymology of the law, but always suspected it had to do with hiding people sneaking over the border from Mexico. But there are certainly parts of Arizona where the darker windows come in handy.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane – it’s been a boatload of years since I graduated from college.

7. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I was listening live and it was funny as hell. He had the stones to ask the cop to “hold on”.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I’ll admit that I haven’t read the research here, but my sense of it (at least whenever I’ve used my phone via bluetooth in the car) is that it’s not that you’re holding the phone, it’s the fact that you’re in a conversation with someone and thus become mentally distracted.
    I can’t use either. I just find it totally dangerous.

9. ecp - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Jesse, studies have shown that drivers are just as distracted and impaired talking on the phones hands-free as they are when they are actually holding a phone. It’s a matter of what their brains are doing, not their hands.

10. Ryan - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM

CC: “Phone and Text Ban on drivers shown ineffective” – http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/29/2054214/Phone-and-Text-Bans-On-Drivers-Shown-Ineffective?

11. Gelardia - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM

That’s cause most people are morons and don’t belong out of their house, let alone operating heavy machinery.

12. Joey B - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Interesting timing, especially since some studies have shown cellphone conversations to be more dangerous than light drinking. And we already had the post-game beer convo.

13. Andrea Bradley - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Let me clarify any misconceptions that are currently out there with reference to my son Adam Jones being pulled over during his interview. First of all, Jonesy was on his way to pick me up for our weekly lunch date and was doing the interview via his cell phone with which he wears a headset, even though the laws in our state do not require he uses one. Second, while driving and doing the interview he was pulled over for his windows being too dark and NOTHING ELSE!!!!! Adam is a very conscientious young man and he knows RIGHT FROM WRONG! Not being biased, I am being honest. If our state had a no cell phone or text law he would abide by it, but we don’t. This was not the problem!!!! The problem was his tint on his windows and if any of you have ever been to Arizona when it is 117 degrees or higher here, you would understand the circumstances!!!!
    Adam happened to come directly to me after the stop and the interview and explained the ENTIRE SCENARIO and I can the entire situation because I also live in AZ and have been told that MY WINDOWS ARE TOO DARK, so what would that make me? 6 out of every 10 cars in certain parts of Arizona a tinted due to the extreme heat factor, so before you start paasing judgement, come on out to AZ and get heated in the 117 DEGREE SWELTERING HEAT AND THEN WE CAN TALK! Until then, STEP!!!!
    Respectfully,
    Andrea Bradley, mother of Adam LaMarque Jones, Centerfielder for the Baltimore Orioles~
    BTW: Thanks Jesse Spector, even if it didn’t involve his phone!

14. The Rabbit - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

The link to the website that you provided is one paragraph of a lengthy press release.
    If you read the report, you’ll find that the “HLDI database doesn’t identify drivers using cellphones when their crashes occur”; therefore, it is impossible to know whether drivers have actually been compliant. In addition, the use of cell phones while driving has not been banned anywhere….only the use of handheld phones.
    I have ridden a motorcycle extensively in all of the jurisdictions that have enacted the ban. I can tell you from experience that there are still a lot of non-compliant drivers, particularly on interstates. (Of course, I’ve also seen drivers sending e-mails and surfing the web on their laptops, writing what appears to be novels, and engaging in sexual behavior, too.)

15. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM

yeah, STEP!

16. Paul - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM

So what, exactly, is it about talking on a phone that would help him walk away while “most likely killing” the other person? Exaggerate much?

17. Nick - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Could’ve been worse. He could’ve been pulled over as a case of mistaken identity with career thug Adam “Pac-Man” Jones.

18. Joey B - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:00 AM

“If our state had a no cell phone or text law he would abide by it, but we don’t. This was not the problem!!!!”
    Just because it is not illegal does not mean it is not a problem. I’ve seen people driving in the lafthand lane of the NJ Turnpike going 20 MPH. I’ve seen people weaving left and right. Naturally a headset helps, and a Bluetooth, but people having conversations on the phone while driving increases the risk of an accident. If he knows he has a 4:00 interview, then he should make sure he has a place to conduct that interview.

19. Paul - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM

So on that note, you should not carry on a conversation with passengers in your car. Oh, and turn off the radio, if your are listening to music you cannot concentrate on the road!

20. marla Walczynski - Feb 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Hey, how are you A buddy lately got hold of a old small motorbike, not yet sure what model it is! My other friends are now annoying him and saying that its a scooter, not a motorbike! I would like to clear this up seriously what realy is the difference between a motorbike an a scooter? Can you Help?

21. James - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Just visited for the first time today. I usually come around once or twice a day. Good post.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3179)